Word of the Day

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Re: Word of the Day

Postby PKMKII » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:25 am

clapperclaw
-verb
1. to claw or scratch with the hands and nails
2. to revile; abuse
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

bonsaiherb
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby bonsaiherb » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:12 pm

Hi,

Actually I am looking for a word, not contributing one. I hope you don't mind.

Humans have often been categorized into being Users/Takers and then the Givers/ Nurturers, empathy whatever.

Christians and Muslims might narrow it done to those that believe and those that don't.

Not gonna get into what I am, but I think there is a THIRD. The Pied Piper, who is a talker as well as taker, but doesn't really know where he is going but leads a lot of people into following him or her to wherever. Sometimes to bad places.

I guess User would be closest here. Sorry I can't express myself better but it reflects a community issue of a person who uses others to get her way/objectives done, but refuses to step up to the plate herself. A get things started person who lets the followers out to hang.

Cardinal Fang
Humble Hermit

Postby Cardinal Fang » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:41 pm

bonsaiherb wrote:Hi,

Actually I am looking for a word, not contributing one. I hope you don't mind.

Humans have often been categorized into being Users/Takers and then the Givers/ Nurturers, empathy whatever.

Christians and Muslims might narrow it done to those that believe and those that don't.

Not gonna get into what I am, but I think there is a THIRD. The Pied Piper, who is a talker as well as taker, but doesn't really know where he is going but leads a lot of people into following him or her to wherever. Sometimes to bad places.

I guess User would be closest here. Sorry I can't express myself better but it reflects a community issue of a person who uses others to get her way/objectives done, but refuses to step up to the plate herself. A get things started person who lets the followers out to hang.

I can think of a word - but it's possibly not for use in polite society.

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

bonsaiherb
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby bonsaiherb » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:30 pm

Himmelherrgottkreuzmillionendonnenderwetter

Cardinal Fang, I can't even think of the impolite word. So much for my wordsmithing. Pied Piper will be what I will use. Strange thing though ... this morn I got this request from a local newspaper editor.

"“I need your help. I need a metaphor. Tell me of a plant, preferably a crop plant or something like that which performs for a while, becomes less prolific, and has to be uprooted and replanted to improve the harvest.”

I thought and thought but came up with nothing easy. Ended up posting a very rough plant article from which he can trench out something. I entitled it as plants, garden and community. http://sequimplants.com/plants-garden-community

Hope to improve on it but it basically was my garden feedback to the request. Edits to the article would be wonderful as would be a crop plant metaphor which I failed to provide.

Sorry to stray off the normal word topic, but when I find a better Godamn I will send it on.

I think I will edit the article with a line such as "Politics is much like compost. You prefer not knowing the contents or what went into it." Throw in 'Community' as well. Rather discouraged by some of the local newspaper stuff.

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:14 pm

bum
-noun
bum
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.

Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roy Hunter » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:37 pm

bahookie
-noun Scots. Colloq.
Fundament, bottom, bum, whatever.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:37 am

spherule
-noun
1. a small sphere or spherical body.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby DavidH » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:38 am

codpiece
-n.

A portion of fish.

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:52 pm

frug
-noun
1. a dance deriving from the twist.
-verb (used without object)
2. to dance the frug.

ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:17 am

frug
-noun
a French stoner
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

What happens when all the renewable energy runs out?
-- Victoria Ayling

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

Griffin
WatsonOfSherlock

Postby Griffin » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:31 pm

Frogmarch
n.

A month in the Toadfish* calendar.

* http://toadfishmonastery.com/
Grand Deducer Watson of Sherlock. NoName, no pack drill. Astral zone changed five times a day (flexible). Great at manifesting parking spaces by thought control. Hatred of terminology of survivors and commitment to win-win reality.

DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby DavidH » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:52 am

Monkey
-n.

Christmas. Happy Monkey, one and all!

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:39 pm

eustress
-noun
stress that is deemed healthful or giving one the feeling of fulfillment

ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:44 pm

mestress
-noun
a condition I try to avoid, with marginal success.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

What happens when all the renewable energy runs out?
-- Victoria Ayling

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:48 am

portable

-werd

um um um
et meenz tha boy cow not onna starrbord rrr
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.

Return to “Games, Fun, and Jokes”