Cool stuff found on the Interwebs

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Re: Cool stuff found on the Interwebs

Postby PKMKII » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:11 am

Yeah, I had a similar problem with the energy question, with every option starting with "Increasing domestic gas and oil production."
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:33 am

:lol:

I mean...some people have spent 20 years trying to find the Higgs Boson...this is far more ground breaking.

One thought though...wouldn't it have been better to make hot chocolate?
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby pieces o'nine » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:49 pm

black bart wrote:

:lol:

I mean...some people have spent 20 years trying to find the Higgs Boson...this is far more ground breaking.

One thought though...wouldn't it have been better to make hot chocolate?

Any decent scientist knows the importance of replicating the experiment, then continuing on to other applications...
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:08 am

Wikipedia blackout in protest. I suddenly have an opinion on SOPA and PIPA :idiot:

Edit - And, of course, the Mashipedia.

Edit again - Apparently Reddit and Boing Boing are down as well. I really should read articles more closely. Also the dangers of having to think :haha:
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:23 am

^ :lol:

there you have it mystery solved:

9. Sherlock Holmes faked his death by hiring a BBC film crew and two of the people who write Doctor Who.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby bacon » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:37 pm

PKMKII wrote:Match your opinions to the presidential candidate.

I got Obama as the highest match, with Jon Huntsman and Ron Paul tied for second.

I got a tie between a republican candidate and a democrat candidate when I took this test.

I've always known I was fiscally conservative and socially liberal, but who knew that I was 50/50 down the middle.
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........

Roland Deschain
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Roland Deschain » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:21 pm

bacon wrote:I've always known I was fiscally conservative and socially liberal, but who knew that I was 50/50 down the middle.

Like half salted, half un-salted? :haha:

I have a couple of cool things:-

Where's Wall-E?

Where's Wall-E? - For sadists

Test your European country knowledge - Not taken this yet, but am doing so once this is posted

EDIT: Got some of the Balkan states slightly out, but not by much. Try level 4, lol.

LEVEL 3
First time round - 40/46 (87%), 57 miles error
Second time round - 44/46 (96%), 10 miles error

LEVEL 4
First time round - 39/46 (85%)
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:23 pm

Roland Deschain wrote:Where's Wall-E?

Whoever did this knows their geek media. Not just the GitS Tachikoma, the Farscape cleaner 'bot, the Bill and Ted robot doppelgangers, the Laputa robot, Tom Servo, and the Batteries not Included 'bot, but the "Bad Robot" robot? Much respect.

39/46, 85% correct, average error of 72 miles, took 337 seconds.

Not bad for an 'merkin. Hell, I'd be impressed if the average european could do that well with the 50 states. Most of the problems came with those tiny countries.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

Roland Deschain
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Roland Deschain » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:55 pm

PKMKII wrote:Whoever did this knows their geek media. Not just the GitS Tachikoma, the Farscape cleaner 'bot, the Bill and Ted robot doppelgangers, the Laputa robot, Tom Servo, and the Batteries not Included 'bot, but the "Bad Robot" robot? Much respect.

There's also the robot from the Smash adverts (dried mashed potato), Twiki's girlfriend Booty from Buck Rogers in the 25th century, the original BBC TV series' version of Marvin the Paranoid Android (and the one from the film), Bubo the clockwork owl from the original Clash of the Titans, Evil Edna the TV set from Willo the Wisp, a robot I believe to be from the second episode of the animated collection known as The Animatrix, the robot from Metropolis (the machine version of Maria), and a host of others I know but cannot remember the names of.

PKMKII wrote:39/46, 85% correct, average error of 72 miles, took 337 seconds.

Not bad for an 'merkin. Hell, I'd be impressed if the average european could do that well with the 50 states. Most of the problems came with those tiny countries.

I'm impressed. Places like Liechtenstein, San Marino, et al can be difficult enough for non-Europeans (hell, they'd probably be hard for most of the UK too, lol), let alone for someone several thousand miles away. Glad to see you keeping up on your geography.

I could probably do quite a few of the states, as I had access to a travel guide to the US a little while ago, and my knowledge was fairly good before that. I also managed to name a good 75% of the state capitals by memory, when tested by my friend. Don't ask me now, though, as I find it hard to remember off the top of my head, but suddenly recognise the names when told to me.

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed

pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby pieces o'nine » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:31 am

Honestly, you Yerpeons should not be allowed to have "countries" the size of a Murkin "city". :haha:
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens

Roland Deschain
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Roland Deschain » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:24 am

pieces o'nine wrote:Image
Honestly, you Yerpeons should not be allowed to have "countries" the size of a Murkin "city". :haha:

I know this may be hard for a Murkin like you to understand, but it's quality, not quantity that matters. :moon: :haha:

Very good score, PoN. The thing with Europe is: City States. Europe has a long history of them, and the amalgamation of some city states led to the creation of countries (I know I don't need to tell you this). It's just that some never made it into other countries, or just valued their independence too much to do so. I know where those small countries come in relation to the larger ones, that's not the issue; the issue is when you're given them with no close frame of reference... :haha:

Roland Deschain
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Roland Deschain » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:21 pm

Auntie wrote:...remove the nail at Advocate Christ Medical Center...

Only a fundie would feel nothing entering their brain... :haha:

muunleit
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby muunleit » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:08 am

daftbeaker wrote:Wikipedia blackout in protest. I suddenly have an opinion on SOPA and PIPA :idiot:

Edit - And, of course, the Mashipedia.

Edit again - Apparently Reddit and Boing Boing are down as well. I really should read articles more closely. Also the dangers of having to think :haha:

=> https://imgur.com/gallery/Wf6Uh :confused:

PKMKII wrote:... Hell, I'd be impressed if the average european could do that well with the 50 states. Most of the problems came with those tiny countries.

http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/USA_Geo ... _1024.html

muunleit
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby muunleit » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:25 am

doublepost :blush:

Roland Deschain
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Roland Deschain » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:22 am

^ Sorry, but I finally get the chance to see someone else do it :haha:

With some frame of reference as to positioning, it's not too bad, but with none it's a nightmare, placing states just a little too far N/E/S/W...

First time round - 35/50 (70%), 122 miles error
Second time round - 42/50 (84%), 76 miles error (a couple escaped due to dodgy mouse button)

Return to “Games, Fun, and Jokes”