Cool stuff found on the Interwebs

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

gronank
Vermicelli Vizier

Re: Cool stuff found on the Interwebs

Postby gronank » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:44 pm

http://www.hooktheory.com/trends
A neat little website that lets you pick out you favorite chord progression and get a list of music using it.
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.

ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:37 pm

gronank wrote:http://www.hooktheory.com/trends
A neat little website that lets you pick out you favorite chord progression and get a list of music using it.

blitherin machinery won't let me start with A minor.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

What happens when all the renewable energy runs out?
-- Victoria Ayling

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:14 pm

How long would it take you to earn a football player's salary

It's quite depressing, apparently if I'd started saving in 1176AD I'd be close to having the money Cristiano Ronaldo gets in one year.
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

Cardinal Fang
Lord of Linguini

Postby Cardinal Fang » Tue May 12, 2015 6:32 pm

Cardinal Fang wrote:
bonsaiherb wrote: 7 Practical Ideas for Compassionate Communities, From Free College to Debt Relief
It's not hard to bring a little more equality into each others' lives
by Shannan Stoll
http://www.yesmagazine.org/issues/the-end-of-poverty/7-practical-ideas-for-compassionate-communities

When so much is printed about what is wrong in this world, it was a delight and true eye-opener to see so many angels out there. Thank you Shannan for this wonderful eye opener. The on-line yesmagazine is AWESOME! Please check it out.

Thanks for sharing the article.

Interesting addition to one of them - in 2005, the state of Utah started a strategy called Housing First, which basically involved just giving the homeless homes. As it turned out, the program saved Utah a boat load of cash - supporting the homeless costs a lot: the cost of shelters,ER visits, ambulances, police etc all add up. Utah’s Homeless Task Force estimated that the average chronically homeless person, when handled the traditional way (into shelters, then halfway houses etc) cost Salt Lake City more than $20, 000 per year. Putting them in permanent housing costs Utah just $8,000 a year, including the cost of the case managers help those homeless people get used to their new state. A study in Colorado estimated that the average homeless person cost the state $43,000 a year, whilst housing that person would cost just $17,000.
(New Yorker article)

CF

Follow up - the scheme is in use in a number of places now. Not only saving thosands of dollars, but being far more successful in keeping people off the streets (about 85%), and helping them with the problems that often put them on the streets in the first place (e.g. drugs, alcohol, mental health issues).

Linkie

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

Return to “Games, Fun, and Jokes”