Funny stuff found on the intrawebs ver. 2.0

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

black bart
Resident Weevil

Re: Funny stuff found on the intrawebs ver. 2.0

Postby black bart » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:46 pm

daftbeaker wrote:New NHS targets.

:lol:

It would be even funnier if it wasn't directly affecting us ie my wife works for the NHS!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby DavidH » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:32 am

Ar, they're slower than that round these parts. Hereford had 3 hospitals up to about 1999, but it took several years to close 2 of them.

Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Rainswept » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:47 am

I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:28 am

Rainswept wrote:Image

It reminds of the time my colleague printed out his mobile phone manual back in the 1990s...there were reams and reams of paper and the boss spotted it all coming out and wanted to know who it belonged to!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby PantyGnawer » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:54 am

Roland Deschain wrote:Firstly, I found a website showing Facebook users' reactions to The Onion's fairy stories. You will never look at Justin Bieber the same - Epic Fail 1

A few people at my old job were real nutjob conspiracy theorists; David Icken, Carlos Castenada, Lizard people, the aliens built the pyramids, all that good stuff. And as a vocal rationalist I was always peeing in their cornflakes. Of course they just thought I was brainwashed by the corporate media and the fluoride in the water or what have you. One day, one of them comes in raving about this youtube video he found. I mean, he told everyone at work about it all day long. After much pestering I decided to look it up.
Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGi5B1pFpx0

I saw why this stroked his interest but it totally seemed fake to me, so I looked further. Turns out that it was an Onion video that someone had reposted to youtube with a fake headline designed to get the conspiracy theorists abuzz. It worked. I love throwing reality, facts, and logic in the faces of the peddlers of woo, but I honestly didn't enjoy explaining to a grown man that he had just bought hook line and sinker into an Onion video. It was sad, but funny!

pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby pieces o'nine » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:42 am

Roland Deschain wrote:Firstly, I found a website showing Facebook users' reactions to The Onion's fairy stories. You will never look at Justin Bieber the same - Epic Fail 1

My favorite comment: "OBOUSLY HE WAS LIP SINGING!!"
You know, I really don't think there is *any* excuse for lip singing... :facepalm:
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens

Roland Deschain
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Roland Deschain » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:53 pm

PantyGnawer wrote:A few people at my old job were real nutjob conspiracy theorists; David Icke, Carlos Castenada, Lizard people, the aliens built the pyramids, all that good stuff. And as a vocal rationalist I was always peeing in their cornflakes. Of course they just thought I was brainwashed by the corporate media and the fluoride in the water or what have you. One day, one of them comes in raving about this youtube video he found. I mean, he told everyone at work about it all day long. After much pestering I decided to look it up...I love throwing reality, facts, and logic in the faces of the peddlers of woo, but I honestly didn't enjoy explaining to a grown man that he had just bought hook line and sinker into an Onion video. It was sad, but funny!

pieces o'nine wrote:My favourite comment: "OBOUSLY HE WAS LIP SINGING!!"
You know, I really don't think there is *any* excuse for lip singing... :facepalm:

It can be easy to be taken in when you don't realise, but there are some things that appear to be so obviously fake, such as the above, that they cannot be anything but false. I'd forgotten I had that site bookmarked. I've now spent the past hour laughing once again over other peoples' confusion and idiocy. :haha:

EDIT: This one just takes the biscuit. If the title of the game didn't give it away, the source sure did. I'd have loved to see his face at the moment of revelation. Original video HERE.

EDIT 2: Richard Dawkins Reads His Hatemail Again - :lol:
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed

pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby pieces o'nine » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:23 pm

Roland Deschain wrote:
pieces o'nine wrote:My favourite comment: "OBOUSLY HE WAS LIP SINGING!!"

It can be easy to be taken in when you don't realise, but there are some things that appear to be so obviously fake, such as the above, that they cannot be anything but false. I'd forgotten I had that site bookmarked. I've now spent the past hour laughing once again over other peoples' confusion and idiocy. :haha:

I was mocking a spelling error (OBOUSLY not just a typo -- this person clearly doesn't understand the term s/he is trying to use) which changed the context of the rant to comedy. Rereading it a day later, I see even *less* excuse for LIP SINGING. :haha:

Good links -- I hadn't seen Dawkins dramatically reading his hate mail before; will have to watch more of those.

[edit] OMG! What if Dawkins is LIP SINGING his hatemail! [/edit]
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens

Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roy Hunter » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:14 am

"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:00 am

PON wrote:

Good links -- I hadn't seen Dawkins dramatically reading his hate mail before; will have to watch more of those.

Yes I enjoyed it but it was spoiled by the chap in the room with him who at one point exclaimed: "Oh Jesus!" making me think some of the hate mail could be an inside job!

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:14 pm

Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:39 pm

I was listening to an interview on radio 4 and that is almost exactly what the journalist from a tabloid newspaper was saying. He reckoned Hugh Grant and Steve Coogan (who he described as a coke addict) are on a crusade to get The Mail on Sunday shut down. If they some how manage it they should both get Knighthoods.

Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roy Hunter » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:18 pm

black bart wrote:

I was listening to an interview on radio 4 and that is almost exactly what the journalist from a tabloid newspaper was saying. He reckoned Hugh Grant and Steve Coogan (who he described as a coke addict) are on a crusade to get The Mail on Sunday shut down. If they some how manage it they should both get Knighthoods.
There is a spectacular level of self-unawareness (if that is a real thing) on the part of the newspapers here. The Daily Mail was editorialising on the first day's proceedings, was pulled up by the enquiry for it, but did it again on the second day? At some point they are going to have to realise that it is going to be a 'humbling experience' for all of them, and that they need to change their ways. If they had kept their damn traps shut during the course of the inquiry, they might have ended up with a PCC with fewer media barons on its board and more teeth, but still non-statutory regulation. After all, Call Me Dave doesn't want to upset the apple cart, does he? But at this rate, if the papers don't leave people like Cheryl Gascoigne and Steve Coogan alone, they are going to end up with a statutory right to reply enforced by the courts, like they have in France.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Rainswept » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:22 am

I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.

Roland Deschain
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Roland Deschain » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:31 pm

^ Aaaahhh, so very true. :haha:

Red Bull Ad
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed

Return to “Games, Fun, and Jokes”