Funny stuff found on the intrawebs ver. 2.0

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Re: Funny stuff found on the intrawebs ver. 2.0

Postby PKMKII » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:37 pm

"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

gronank
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby gronank » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:02 am

Griffin wrote:Actually, I'm not sure that's what happens here, unless I've misunderstood the double negative.

Well, I took a humorous shot at the First Past The Post voting system, comparing it to parliamentarism with proportional elections.

The Meta-game of First Past The Post dictates that if you do not vote for either of the top two candidates, your vote doesn't count. This forces voters to not vote for the one of maybe a dozen candidates they'd prefer to win but for the one of the two candidates that actually has a chance of winning that they disagree with the least.

Parliamentarism with proportional voting, on the other hand, means seats in the parliament are distributed to the proportion the votes each party received across the entire electorate. This means you can vote for whatever party you like and be mostly assured that your vote will contribute to a voice in parliament.
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.

Cardinal Fang
Humble Hermit

Postby Cardinal Fang » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:51 pm

Griffin wrote:
PKMKII wrote:
gronank wrote:Then again, we vote for the politicians we like the most, not those that isn't the ones we like the least.

I'm an American and I have no idea what you're talking about.

Actually, I'm not sure that's what happens here, unless I've misunderstood the double negative.

I always end up voting for the one that might keep the other one from winning, because wherever I live I never seem to have a good MP or the right party. My current MP was one of the worst expenses culprits. However, I am now not going to vote on that basis any more at all since I hate all of them. I might even vote Monster Raving Looney who I probably actually agree with more than anyone else. :facewall: (that's assuming the whole of Western democracy, which we've tried so hard to sell elsewhere, doesn't collapse first).

My problem is that we have an excellent MP, who unfortunately represents a rubbish party. If I could vote for him, but not the party, I would. Added to that is our constituency is likely to be one of the new ones the Green Party contests, and they have a lot of policies that I kinda agree with. So have to choose - keep good MP from rubbish party, or vote for party I agree with but who is unlikely to have much of an influence in Parliament.

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

bonsaiherb
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby bonsaiherb » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:25 pm

What happened to "Funny Stuff found on the intrawebs?" Is that even a word? Anyhow, being a political pig at the trough I love political stuff but the last few posts do nothing for the 'funny stuff standards.'

Put it in 'serious stuff' web or do a totally political forum, say I.

From recipes and genealogy, my own site has turned into a political one and all I can say for it, is I try to offend everyone equally. Since my B-Day I have tried to get back to the recipes.
http://www.sweetgeodes.com/senft/

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments take our breath away."

"Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
...holy sh*t ... what a ride!" authors unknown

Sadly I could not find much "funny stuff" on the Internet and would have to make one of the opposite. A good example being an article in the local paper. P.A. Clallam County WA has a whole bunch of first rate problems. Suicides, Depression, Unemployment and an incompetent govt. Please read the COMMENTS under this link.
http://peninsuladailynews.com/article/2 ... prevention

I think this could be the beginning of a "horrible stuff" found on the Internet - but I do NOT want to go there. We need to find the positive, uplifting and angel inspired stories rather than our piss offs with politicians.

gronank
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby gronank » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:49 pm

Cardinal Fang wrote:My problem is that we have an excellent MP, who unfortunately represents a rubbish party. If I could vote for him, but not the party, I would.
Petition your MP to change party, then.
bonsaiherb wrote:What happened to "Funny Stuff found on the intrawebs?" Is that even a word?

It is a point that exists in a space of funny words used to describe the internet
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:51 pm

Griffin wrote:
PKMKII wrote:
gronank wrote:Then again, we vote for the politicians we like the most, not those that isn't the ones we like the least.

I'm an American and I have no idea what you're talking about.

Actually, I'm not sure that's what happens here, unless I've misunderstood the double negative.

I think what gronank is trying to say is that when he votes, he has a selection of politicians and he might vote for any one of them. He then chooses who to vote for based on who is the best candidate for his views and beliefs.

In the UK (and I assume the US as well) it comes down to which of the two major parties is least likely to be a complete omnishambles, then (if you're lucky) choosing between the two candidates you hate the least.

I have to say, since being a keen and impressionable person who believed in voting (so much so I actually borrowed a disaffected parent's vote when I was 17) I now can't see much point either. No matter which way I vote my constituency will still return Gove to Parliament :barf: :facewall:
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

gronank
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby gronank » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:18 pm

daftbeaker wrote:He then chooses who to vote for based on who is the best candidate for his views and beliefs.

Almost, except we don't vote for candidates, but for party lists (although it is possible to vote someone up in position on this list). Now, this has the effect that our individual parliamentary members are mostly anonymous, except for party leaders and some members of the cabinet. I can think that is nice, it means elections doesn't revolve around the personal qualities of candidates but around the ideas of the parties. On the other hand, voters has no way of holding individual politicians accountable (but they are required to vote according to party anyway and those can be held accountable) and I have no one to write and complain to about stupid law proposals like for example Americans do with their congressmen and I think senators (or are they appointed by the state?). Back to the first hand, though, we have absolutely no problem with gerrymandering because we do not have meaningful districts in which to stack the electorate.

bonsaiherb
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby bonsaiherb » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:22 pm

Okay, I'm gonna flog one of my own stories which is true and quite funny. It dealt with my many animal husbandry attempts ending with a warning ... NEVER, EVER raise Pigs.

http://sweetgeodes.com/senft/?page_id=1591#comment-1266
I think my music selection was perfect for the pigs tail story, and the other stories embedded do really reflect what my County was about during the Reagan years and sadly remains much the same today!

My Cattle farming episode: Skip to Sheep farming: Bees: and a few other animal misadventures
http://sweetgeodes.com/senft/?page_id=3586

Do hit the other links if you like to see what an incompetent can accomplish with livestock. My only exception being the bee keeping part. Despite the story I used to get up to 200 pounds a hive. My own record in Santa Cruz, CA., only outdone by the two guys Ormand and Harry Aebi, I learned everything from. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ormond_Aebi

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:59 pm

Here's one for Daftbeaker:

"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

Cardinal Fang
Humble Hermit

Postby Cardinal Fang » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:31 pm

I always though DB was one lab accident away from supervillain anyway...

:moon:

CF

Cardinal Fang
Humble Hermit

Postby Cardinal Fang » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:33 pm

An activist disarms a troll with kindness

Stick with it right to the end.

A writer named Ijeoma Oluo has shared an interesting Twitter conversation she had with a 14-year-old, racist troll on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, and the result is truly inspiring.

Warning: there are a lot of racial slurs and other awful stuff in here, but hold on in there

CF

ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:41 pm

1/5 2/5 1/5 1/5

:haha: :haha:
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

What happens when all the renewable energy runs out?
-- Victoria Ayling

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

ChowMein
Brewmeister

Postby ChowMein » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:45 pm

Ahoy ! Ye lot must google " lazy cat drinking " for a LOL .

gronank
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby gronank » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:18 pm

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:1/5 2/5 1/5 1/5

Now with a 5 round cylindered revolver?

ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:53 pm

gronank wrote:
ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:1/5 2/5 1/5 1/5

Now with a 5 round cylindered revolver?

No, with fish.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

What happens when all the renewable energy runs out?
-- Victoria Ayling

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

Return to “Games, Fun, and Jokes”