Quote out of context

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

User avatar
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists
Posts: 8860
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: State of Disbelief

Re: Quote out of context

Postby Rainswept » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:59 am

Man, people really have a tendency to post things I've said out of context, yet still manage to be exactly what I would say.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.

User avatar
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth
Posts: 7664
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:32 pm
Location: Either on my bike or at the bar in New Hope, MN

Re: Quote out of context

Postby Scott the Pirate » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:26 pm

Capellini wrote:Women do not dress for men, they dress for other women.


Both true and not true in an evolutionary sense. Men prefer a .7 waist to hip ratio regardless of overall body size, even across cultures, and much of women's fashion (around these parts anyway) seems to accentuate or at least draw attention to the waist and hips. While women certianly do "dress to impress", they are also in competition with other women for the attentions of what ever partners they prefer, and dress accordingly. Just my opinion.
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:

User avatar
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart
Posts: 4099
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:31 pm
Location: The State of Denial

Re: Quote out of context

Postby Capellini » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:07 pm

Scott the Pirate wrote:
Capellini wrote:Women do not dress for men, they dress for other women.


Both true and not true in an evolutionary sense. Men prefer a .7 waist to hip ratio regardless of overall body size, even across cultures, and much of women's fashion (around these parts anyway) seems to accentuate or at least draw attention to the waist and hips. While women certianly do "dress to impress", they are also in competition with other women for the attentions of what ever partners they prefer, and dress accordingly. Just my opinion.


Women know men would look at them no matter what. Women don't need to do anything to get male attention. It's about showing up other women, creating a hierarchy based on attractiveness. In primate groups that are multi-male multi-female, the interrelations of the females are generally most important to the overall social dynamic of the group, especially in groups where the females disperse and are therefore not related to each other, like humans.

Don't you think that the same thing that would draw a male's attention to evolutionary approved proportions would draw the attention of other women as well?
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill

User avatar
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth
Posts: 7664
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:32 pm
Location: Either on my bike or at the bar in New Hope, MN

Re: Quote out of context

Postby Scott the Pirate » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:17 pm

In a competition sense, sure. So basically your argument is "men are pigs and will oogle anyone at any time"? Not saying that you're wrong, just looking for clarification.
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:

User avatar
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!
Posts: 4551
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:50 pm
Location: Varrrrrrgggggghhhhhhinia

Re: Quote out of context

Postby Ubi Dubius » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:20 pm

Scott the Pirate wrote:In a competition sense, sure. So basically your argument is "men are pigs and will oogle anyone at any time"? Not saying that you're wrong, just looking for clarification.


I am and I will.
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal

User avatar
TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher
Posts: 8549
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:27 pm
Location: N.E PA

Re: Quote out of context

Postby TwistedSister » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:20 pm

Scott the Pirate wrote:.... "men are pigs and will oogle anyone at any time".....
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.

User avatar
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth
Posts: 7664
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:32 pm
Location: Either on my bike or at the bar in New Hope, MN

Re: Quote out of context

Postby Scott the Pirate » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:37 pm

A quote from "Quote" nice.
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:

User avatar
lordpunkmonk
Mystic of Meatball
Posts: 2415
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:14 am
Location: outside your window
Contact:

Re: Quote out of context

Postby lordpunkmonk » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:41 pm

Capellini wrote:Women know men would look at them no matter what. Women don't need to do anything to get male attention.


Damn Straight, if you don't mind me saying so.
--LPM lord of the apocalypse
"The man with a clear conscience probably has a poor memory." --Lawrence J. Peter
111111111 x 111111111 = 12345678987654321

User avatar
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth
Posts: 7664
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:32 pm
Location: Either on my bike or at the bar in New Hope, MN

Re: Quote out of context

Postby Scott the Pirate » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:00 pm

I crushed a poor young ladies argument in a "peoples of the middle east" class after i said "as an enculturated american heterosexual male, i LIKE my women uncovered." She said "Oh way to go an prove their (muslims) point! Women don't like to be looked at you know!" I said "so that wasnt you at the pool that i saw in a tiny bikini running your hands all over some guys rock-like abs yesterday? Seemed like you were enjoying all the attention. And besides, why didn't you tell him to put a shirt on? Because like me, you are a product of your culture."

This is the same chick that says that humans are monogamous.

:furious:
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:

User avatar
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility
Posts: 3771
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:34 am
Location: Bedlam

Re: Quote out of context

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:01 pm

Applies to me .
Oink .
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering Black Bart
Remembering Pieces o' Nine
Remembering Rainswept

User avatar
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth
Posts: 7664
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:32 pm
Location: Either on my bike or at the bar in New Hope, MN

Re: Quote out of context

Postby Scott the Pirate » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:13 pm

Ditto. In fact, there's a tall goddess here at the bar right now that i'd like to....forget it.
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:

User avatar
Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart
Posts: 4099
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:31 pm
Location: The State of Denial

Re: Quote out of context

Postby Capellini » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:37 pm

Scott the Pirate wrote:In a competition sense, sure. So basically your argument is "men are pigs and will oogle anyone at any time"? Not saying that you're wrong, just looking for clarification.


Precisely.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill

User avatar
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth
Posts: 7664
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:32 pm
Location: Either on my bike or at the bar in New Hope, MN

Re: Quote out of context

Postby Scott the Pirate » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:41 pm

"For a man to walk into a bar and have every woman there want him, he'd have to rule the world. For a woman to walk into a bar and have every man there want her, she'd have to.....do her hair."
Dana Carvey (Ithink)
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:

User avatar
lordpunkmonk
Mystic of Meatball
Posts: 2415
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:14 am
Location: outside your window
Contact:

Re: Quote out of context

Postby lordpunkmonk » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:51 pm

yeah the difference is that if a guy walks in a bar and sees a girl checking him out guys take it as a compliment and girls take it as an offensive thing.
--LPM lord of the apocalypse
"The man with a clear conscience probably has a poor memory." --Lawrence J. Peter
111111111 x 111111111 = 12345678987654321

User avatar
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists
Posts: 8860
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: State of Disbelief

Re: Quote out of context

Postby Rainswept » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:04 pm

lordpunkmonk wrote:yeah the difference is that if a guy walks in a bar and sees a girl checking him out guys take it as a compliment and girls take it as an offensive thing.



Clearly you've never been well and truly oogled by a dude. Trust me, it's creepy. :paranoid:
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.


Return to “Games, Fun, and Jokes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests