Did you know?

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Re: Did you know?

Postby DavidH » Mon May 09, 2011 3:14 am

^But you neglect Sod's Law, Murphy's principle and the Pottinger theorem.

Roy, I know from long experience what that's like. Here's hoping it lifts soon.

Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roy Hunter » Mon May 09, 2011 4:25 am

Thanks daftie and Dave, I have been here before. I have a plan that does not rely on antidepressants, as I find coming off them again traumatic, much worse than not taking them when I need to. It does involve stopping drinking, however, and may also involve changing jobs so that I am working with people every day. No more daytime posting binges for me, then...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Mon May 09, 2011 6:04 am

DavidH wrote:DYKT that I went on holiday to Majorca last week?

We had a nice meal in Port de Pollença, at which I got rather merry and spent a long time teaching this caged bird to say "Black Bart the Pirate". The grandson, Cap'n B, also joined in. I have a hazy memory that other diners seemed to think us a bit strange.

I never heard the bird repeat it, but it may do so later. Bart might fancy a holiday in Majorca to go and check. The restaurant is by the harbour and you can recognise it by the way you feel so drunk when you sit in front of it.

Photo courtesy of MrsH

Arrgh...if thee King o Spain hears that parrot I'll ave alf thee Spanish Navy chasin me...fortunately that's only about 2 ships these days.

I think your behaviour is exemplary for Brits on holiday...belly dancing in front of German tourists is another popular pass time.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

gronank
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby gronank » Mon May 09, 2011 6:45 am

DavidH wrote:^But you neglect Sod's Law, Murphy's principle and the Pottinger theorem.

I think Hofstadter's law is applicable.
Murphy's law is directly implied by sod's law:
things that will go wrong directly is part of the set of things that go wrong eventually.
I couldn't find anything on Pottinger's theorem, only a proof in lambda-calculus.
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Mon May 09, 2011 6:50 am

Did you know that the ancient Greek punishment for adultery was to shove a radish up the adulterer's bottom?
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

gronank
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby gronank » Mon May 09, 2011 6:54 am

black bart wrote:Did you know that the ancient Greek punishment for adultery was to shove a radish up the adulterer's bottom?

There was a hint of it last year
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Mon May 09, 2011 6:57 am

gronank wrote:
black bart wrote:Did you know that the ancient Greek punishment for adultery was to shove a radish up the adulterer's bottom?

There was a hint of it last year

:facewall: I knew I'd it heard somewhere.

Alright then...

Did you know that the ancient Greeks (well Herodotus actually) thought that the Indians got Gold Dust using Giant Ants the size of Foxes?

DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby DavidH » Mon May 09, 2011 8:32 am

Are you sure that a Greek would consider that a punishment? :confused:

TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby TwistedSister » Mon May 09, 2011 9:25 am

black bart wrote:
DavidH wrote:Image

Photo courtesy of MrsH

Arrgh...if thee King o Spain hears that parrot I'll ave alf thee Spanish Navy chasin me...fortunately that's only about 2 ships these days.

I think the bird in question is a Magpie, not a parrot. It's hard to tell in the photo.
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.

Ubi Dubium
Stripmeister

Postby Ubi Dubium » Mon May 09, 2011 9:31 am

TwistedSister wrote:I think the bird in question is a Magpie, not a parrot. It's hard to tell in the photo.

That's a mynah bird. They're quite good mimics.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien

DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby DavidH » Mon May 09, 2011 9:33 am

It wasn't like any parrot I've ever seen, nor a magpie. It was all black but for some yellow fleshy bits round its neck. It could talk, all right - it said holà and lots of other stuff in (presumably) Catalan.

EDIT: I don't know, Ubi, but you're probably right.

TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby TwistedSister » Mon May 09, 2011 9:54 am

Ubi Dubium wrote:
TwistedSister wrote:I think the bird in question is a Magpie, not a parrot. It's hard to tell in the photo.

That's a mynah bird. They're quite good mimics.

You are right Ubi! I knew it was a bird with a name that started with "M", but all I could think of was Magpie. :facepalm:
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Mon May 09, 2011 11:15 am

:facewall:
Will you lot stop acting like Bird Fanciers, get over to the Temple of Whatsit and help me sort out Ubi's title...otherwise I'll be calling him the first thing me Parrot comes out with next.

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Mon May 09, 2011 11:46 am

black bart wrote::facewall:
Will you lot stop acting like Bird Fanciers, get over to the Temple of Whatsit and help me sort out Ubi's title...otherwise I'll be calling him the first thing me Parrot comes out with next.

Well, Ubi's prophet title is clearly going to be 'Will someone shut that blasted bird up' then :haha:
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

Calico Jack
Stele Second Mate

Postby Calico Jack » Mon May 09, 2011 12:43 pm

black bart wrote::facewall:

Pull my finger!!!

ACK!!!
Jack got all yer wemmin!!!!
Who Jack pay???

Return to “Games, Fun, and Jokes”