The New Convert Thread - MAKE YOUR FIRST POST HERE

This is the section that includes the forum rules, and standard operating procedures. You can't post to the rest of the forum until you've posted here. Don't bother trying.

Moderators: Other Stuff Mods, Serious Mods, All Things Mods, phpBB2 - Administrators

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:13 pm

that works too.

Welcome, all.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Capellini » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:20 pm

SC-Pastafarian wrote:How about my 2nd post here?

No! Zat ees not good enough. You veel be waporized!*

*That's my very angry Chekhov impression. I know it's bad. Sorry.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill

Goat Starer
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Goat Starer » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:53 am

Capellini wrote:I believe the gh fell off your ARRRRR.

where did the idea that pirates say ARRRRRRG come from? they say ARR! try googling it.

Everybody knows that Nazis say ARRRRRG as in...

" Ein engerlander spitfire! Donner und Blitzen! ARRRRRRG......."

or at least that is what the Victor comic taught me as a kid.
Best regards

Goat

--------------------------

"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." - George Bernard Shaw

Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Capellini » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:34 am

Actually, it seems that there is such a controversey over arr and argh, yet both appear to be equally acceptable.

Why can't pirates say both?

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill

anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini
Location: Waiting to move where the Gorillas are, the ones without cell phones and cars!

Postby anthrobabe » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:18 pm

ARRRRRR AAAARRRGGGHHHHH

see I am bi-lingual
My mantra
Just save the farkin Gorillas will you! They don't have spell check- but they do need YOU/US...
www.gorillafund.org

I Ned Speil Cheek!!!!!!!!

I'm *not* the lowest rank on this ship. What about the laboratory mice? I tell them something and they jump straight to it. "Yes, Mr. Lister Sir, eek,eek."

teripie
Birthday Scribe

Postby teripie » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:16 am

Robert Newton portrayed Long John Silver in an old, (very old!) TV program. He's the one who is the real father of the modern pirate speech. He did a lot of arrrr-ing.
-----(\ /)------
-----(o.o)-----
----(> <)-----
This is Bunny.
Bunny, as cute and cuddley as he may appear, is bent on world domination.
To achieve this he has decided to start by taking over teh intarweb, a step towards his ultimate goal.
To help him complete his quest and therefore ensure bunny domination, copy and paste him into your sig

Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Capellini » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:18 am

After having considered the issue further, I have reached this personal conclusion.

"Arr" is the growl of the sober pirate, while the more guttural and possibly indicative of drooling "argh" is the growl of the drunken pirate.

PsiPro
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby PsiPro » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:25 am

Capellini wrote:"Arr" is the growl of the sober pirate, while the more guttural and possibly indicative of drooling "argh" is the growl of the drunken pirate.

Thank the noodly master for this revalation of revalations.

NickeZ
Conchigliette Convert

Postby NickeZ » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:01 am

hi everyone!

My nickname is NickeZ and I'm a follower from sweden :D

dukes
Lord of Linguini
Location: Still lost in the ozone, somewhere east of Machias, Downeast Maine

Postby dukes » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:02 am

NickeZ: welcome aboard matey. Glad to have you here. Toss your seabag on your bunk and check out our FAQ - it has suggestions on our netiquette. Check out all the forums and you'll find something interesting for sure!
Christ you know it ain't easy,
You know how hard it can be.
The way things are going
They're gonna crucify me.

----------
Ballad of John and Yoko

AleMan
Conchigliette Convert
Location: heaven? hell? heartland. no lobster(or clams), but good pork and beef. lots o' corn and beans about.

Postby AleMan » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:21 am

Greetings from Iowa!

As a recent convert to Pastafarianism, I've been content to lurk and absorb. Recently, one of the Nutters wrote a letter to the editor in our local paper to complain about a percieved slight perpetrated against his invisible friend by a recent comic strip.

The original cartoon, the Nutter's reaction, and my response to the Nutter are below.

Thoughts?

Ramen
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
One Funny Cartoon
Published September 3, 2006

One Nutter’s Reaction

Offending cartoon not worthy of more ink
“I am outraged over the recent Foxtrot cartoon that appeared in a Sunday paper. Specifically, it included the casual use of the Lord’s name. It is interesting that the artist did not use the name for a leader of any number of different religions. Was he afraid that might be too offensive? I am asking The Gazette to pull Foxtrot from the paper. Anything that speaks lightly of the creator of the world does not deserve the ink it takes to print it.â€￾
A. David McIntosh [unedit]
Onslow (Iowa)
Published September 14, 2006

One Pastafarian’s Response:

October 5, 2006

Dear Mr. McIntosh [unedit],

Your recently published Letter to the Editor quite grabbed my attention. I originally thought the cartoon to be funny, understanding that in context the “Good Lordâ€￾ comment was a colloquialism meaning “Good Lord, please bless this person who desperately needs guidance and wisdom.â€￾

At first, I didn’t see any offense, as there was no mention of which “Lordâ€￾ was being referenced and no actual name of any lord stated. Your letter didn’t specify to which lord you refer, nor to which “creator of the worldâ€￾. The only deities with “Lordâ€￾ as part of their name seem to come from the Chinese Malaysian, Hindu, and Wiccan faiths, and they don’t seem the type to be offended by the use of “Lordâ€￾ in the cartoon’s context. Perhaps you are a believer in some faith, religion, or cult with which I am unfamiliar.

After reading your letter, I consulted the Gospel of the Creator, prayed, and meditated. What has been Revealed to me is that I should not fear or worry about those whose faith in Him is so weak or corrupted that they feel they must protest against imaginary slights perceived to be directed against their invisible friends. I should be thankful that most of our misguided religious zealots confine themselves to letter-writing and hand-wringing instead of blowing things up (although I wonder what cult the perpetrator of the 9/11 terrorist attack in Davenport is affiliated with?). I should be grateful that I have been granted the gifts which allow me to know real from imaginary, faith from fanaticism.

May the Good Lord open your eyes, and may you continue to be Touched by His Noodly Appendage. Ramen.

Joe Stutler [unedit]

Mailed to:
A. David McIntosh [unedit]
[edit] (leaving the edit, but I found the address at www.dexonline.com)
ONSLOW IA 52321
on October 5, 2006.

dukes
Lord of Linguini
Location: Still lost in the ozone, somewhere east of Machias, Downeast Maine

Postby dukes » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:54 pm

AleMan: Great letter! Did you get a response? That would be interesting, as long as it didn't set you up for funny stuff from your local citizens. Welcome to the forum - glad to have you here.
Christ you know it ain't easy,
You know how hard it can be.
The way things are going
They're gonna crucify me.

----------

Ballad of John and Yoko

Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Capellini » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:36 pm

Ale, you are hard core.

We LOVE that here.

PsiPro
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby PsiPro » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:42 pm

ROTFL That is exclent! Welcome to the community!

MPTrooper

Postby MPTrooper » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:33 pm

Way to put that nut bag in it's place!

Return to “Standards and Practices”