The New Convert Thread - MAKE YOUR FIRST POST HERE

This is the section that includes the forum rules, and standard operating procedures. You can't post to the rest of the forum until you've posted here. Don't bother trying.

Moderators: Other Stuff Mods, Serious Mods, All Things Mods, phpBB2 - Administrators

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Re: The New Convert Thread - MAKE YOUR FIRST POST HERE

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:57 am

Welcome, Xi! I like your name.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.

Xi the Tolerant
Ziti Zealot

Postby Xi the Tolerant » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:08 am

Thank you :)

Yours made me laugh. I kinda wish i put something with more humor now... >.>; but oh well Hiya and thank you so much for the welcome...

(Offtopic: O.o oh wait are post-backs ok here? I know spamming is bad but some forums have different rules on post-backs >.< If its not ok I won't do it again...)
Nothing is Impossible...

And if you believe in one of the multiple universe theories, (don't ask me which I'm no expert... yet...) everything is the truth. Why can't FSM be the truth for this one?

and if you were wondering... The avatar is a thing I did for a graphics arts class I had once... The people are Douglas Adams, Ray Bradbury, and the Ninja from ask a ninja. Two of them are my heroes and one makes me laugh occasionally...

Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roy Hunter » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:16 pm

Hi from Scotland!

Here in the UK, the head of state is also the head of the state religion. Religious education is mandatory until the age of 16. Scottish law does not require that you are taught physics by a physics teacher, or history by a history teacher, but it does require that you are taught religious education by a religious education teacher. We have no legal basis to assume freedom of speech (indeed the UK has some of the most draconian libel and slander laws in the world). We are potentionally in a more religiously oppressive regime than the USA is (except all our religious maniacs went to America in the 17th Century. Sorry about that).

A religious education teacher told my son that he did not have to believe everything he heard in science classes, and that other versions of the origin of the world are equally valid. He is the child of two science graduates, one agnostic, one atheist. He went nuts about it, obviously. We were so proud...

Hence my interest in Pastafarianism. We had a Prime Minister (Mr. Blair) who was a secret religious fundamentalist: he gave people like Peter Vardy the ability to buy control of a school and apply his own morality to it. Like Mel Brooks and Nazis in 'The Producers', I think the only way to deal with these nutters is to satirise and ridicule them. So here I am...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

moodydaniel
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby moodydaniel » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:41 am

Roy Hunter wrote:We are potentionally in a more religiously oppressive regime...
It won't happen, Scotland is too libertarian to allow it and Leeds/Manchester are too cool to let northern England go that way. Maybe it'll happen in London but that doesn't count.
Our Flyer,
Who drink in heaven,
FSM be thy name,
Thy ketchup come,
Thy sauce be done,
On earth as it's served in heaven.
Give us this day our garlic bread,
And forgive over cooked Tagliatelle,
As we forgive those who serve it to us.
And lead us not into takeaways,
Who deliver pizzas so evil.
For thine is the pasta, al dente cooked spaghetti.
For breakfast and dinner,
RAmen

moodydaniel
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby moodydaniel » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:00 am

Roy Hunter wrote:We had a Prime Minister (Mr. Blair) who was a secret religious fundamentalist: he gave people like Peter Vardy the ability to buy control of a school and apply his own morality to it. Like Mel Brooks and Nazis in 'The Producers', I think the only way to deal with these nutters is to satirise and ridicule them. So here I am...
You can also join the British Humanists campaign against faith academies or donate to it, details here
Our Flyer,
Who drink in heaven,
FSM be thy name,
Thy ketchup come,
Thy sauce be done,
RAmen

PeachtreePirate
Conchigliette Convert

Postby PeachtreePirate » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:38 am

Peachtree Pirate here,

Was converted a while ago but I didn't think the forums were that big of a deal in Pastafarianism. Looking to become an ordained Pastafarian minister/pirate/cap'm/what have you and begin a real Church of the FSM in Atlanta...
--Kip Dunlap
International Economics, Modern Language
Georgia State University 2010
YellowJacket Marching Band

All Praise be to the FSM!

Breezy Brian Gregg
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Breezy Brian Gregg » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:58 am

I not really a new convert. I am just new here. I became aware of FSM more than a year ago and at that time read the open letter to the Kansas School Board. The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster has totally thrilled me and inspired me. I have read all the rules here but I think I will review them and take a look around before I make any posts.

Ramen

Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roy Hunter » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:58 pm

moodydaniel wrote:
Roy Hunter wrote:We had a Prime Minister (Mr. Blair) who was a secret religious fundamentalist: he gave people like Peter Vardy the ability to buy control of a school and apply his own morality to it. Like Mel Brooks and Nazis in 'The Producers', I think the only way to deal with these nutters is to satirise and ridicule them. So here I am...
You can also join the British Humanists campaign against faith academies or donate to it, details here

Thanks Daniel, but it's the Humanist Society of Scotland for us. We got married in a Humanist ceremony a couple of years ago, which really pissed off both sides of the sectarian divide (my wife being non-religious from a catholic family, me being non-religious from a protestant family). The thing is, the Humanists seem to want to take on religious types face-to-face, which to my mind would validate their superstitious beliefs. I prefer to (as we say in Scotland) rip the pish right out them
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

moodydaniel
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby moodydaniel » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:56 pm

I have to agree, the BHA doesn't seem to do much outside of London. Maybe the success of the Atheist Bus campaign will broaden their outlook...
It must have been an interesting Wedding, at least it wasn't a Rangers/Celtic derby day :-) How was the ceremony? Everything you wanted?
Tekin t'piss (as we say back yam) is a damn fine way to challenge individuals, but confrontation is the only way to take on the Government (it's the only thing politicians seem to recognise).
Our Flyer,
Who drink in heaven,
FSM be thy name,
Thy ketchup come,
Thy sauce be done,
RAmen

Avalik
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Avalik » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:35 pm

Hello all, name is Avalik... I found this wonderful theory by matching my birthday with some special days, and lo' and behold, International Talk Like a Pirate Day is on my birthday. I liked what I read, so a semi-new convert... just hadn't joined the forums, until now.

mythbri
Conchigliette Convert

Postby mythbri » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:19 pm

Post!

I learned about FSM through the New York Times, did a search, and my life was changed forever!

CunniJA
Conchigliette Convert

Postby CunniJA » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:04 am

I converted almost two years ago but don't know why I waited until now to search for forums of my fellow Pastafarians. It really was the solid scientific basis that got me in. That and I eat spaghetti about 5 nights a week as we poor college students usually do, so it was great to find a system of beliefs (proofs in this case) that fits my lifestyle to a T.

Edd
Stripmeister

Postby Edd » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:51 am

Welcome, all! (and to CunniJA; who knew you could breed fabrics?)
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!

ken worley
King of the Pervs

Postby ken worley » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:35 am

Edd wrote:Welcome, all! (and to CunniJA; who knew you could breed fabrics?)

Oh, sure, sure...

For a real treat, try crossing Irish linen with black-eyed-peas.
Very versatile.
Can be eaten raw or steamed,
fashioned into clothing,
or, can be mixed with branch water and ice, and consumed as a morning-after-cocktail. (55%alc. by vol.)

Glory!
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Glory! » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:25 pm

Well, I had to find some way to get excommunicated by the Roman Catholic church since they don't just let people leave. I was wondering what to do, when suddenly I saw a sale on fettuccine alfredo at the grocery store. FSM has blessed me, this I know. RAmen.

Return to “Standards and Practices”