ubidubikid #1 wrote:Chemistry can be pretty cool though. Yesterday my teacher made smelling salts, and one kid forgot proper wafting technique, specificaly that part about not sticking your nose in the stuff. Today he put some magnesium in some kind of acid, and he set the fumes on fire, and it went "pop"! He has also made some colorful and/or bubbly things, just to make sure that we're not bored.
Mg + 2HX - Mg2X + H2 (I have no idea how to do super/subscript in HTML) The fumes will be hydrogen gas. It is possible to do the same thing with aluminium foil and drain cleaner (lye) but not as controllable.
While I was doing my A-level coursework I was borrowing a fume cupboard in the 'less advanced' class of Year 11, witnessed one particularly incompetent moron snorting copper sulphate. Idiot.
Ask if you can make silly goo, all you need is PVA glue, borax and water. It's an interesting demonstration of polymerisation caused by bridging ions (if anyone asks for a reason).
I shall stop hijacking this thread with rubbish now, hello new people!