The New Convert Thread - MAKE YOUR FIRST POST HERE

This is the section that includes the forum rules, and standard operating procedures. You can't post to the rest of the forum until you've posted here. Don't bother trying.

Moderators: Other Stuff Mods, Serious Mods, All Things Mods, phpBB2 - Administrators

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Re: The New Convert Thread - MAKE YOUR FIRST POST HERE

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:17 pm

I agree with Edd and Qwerty. Take the following text:

POSTING PROCEDURE FOR NEW MEMBERS

To aid us in our battle against spambots, new members MUST follow this procedure:

1. Submit a post in the thread called "The New Convert Thread - MAKE YOUR FIRST POST HERE".

2. Wait patiently for the post to be approved.

3. Submit a post in any other thread besides that one.

4. Wait patiently for that post to be approved.

5. Enjoy full posting privileges.

and place that text in its own thread in Standards and Practices, in Capellini's first post in the "Board Rules and Procedures" thread, and in Alpaca's first post in "The New Convert Thread". With the exception of the Board Rules and Procedures Thread, the first posts should contain NOTHING EXCEPT THAT TEXT. (I know Alpaca's not around anymore, but (s)he was acting on official business in making that post, so I think it's okay to change it.)

That's what I think should be done, anyway.
[email protected]#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. [email protected]#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!

Warlord of Elephants
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Warlord of Elephants » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:08 pm

Good suggestion, I will look into it. This doesn't address the 95% of new posters who don't read the instructions and THEN get grumpy about it. Sin. WoE.
"I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit; it's the only way to be sure."

I devoured my 'good' twin in utero

"Doctor Evil! I didn't spend six years in evil medical school to be called "Mister," thank you very much."

Ron Roberto
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Ron Roberto » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:30 am

Hi everyone,
My name is Ron Roberto. I'm a pastafarian from the Boston region of the Northeast United States. I hope that this forum can teach me more about my beloved FSM.
-Ron Roberto

bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby bacon » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:36 am

Maybe we can send the instructions to the new posters' inbox as soon as they register for the site?

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:40 am

You could also, in HUGE RED LETTERS at the top of the forum index, include a note that says "NEW MEMBERS: READ THIS POST," ("THIS POST" being a link to the rules and procedures thread) "AND THEN POST IN THIS THREAD!" ("POST IN THIS THREAD!" being a link to New Converts). Can you include text in the forum header like that? There will still be morons and assholes, but at least it will be about as clear as can be.

Bacon's idea is good too, if it's possible to edit the confirmation email's text.
[email protected]#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. [email protected]#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!

Ham Nox
Stripmeister

Postby Ham Nox » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:06 pm

Hi all you happy (I hope) new people!!

Warlord of Elephants
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Warlord of Elephants » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:08 pm

Obviously people CAN figure out where to post first, I don't think MORE instructions (that will be overlooked) is going to solve the problem. The process we use seems to keep the vast majority of the spammers off of the boards. If Cap, or The Cardinal want to do something different we can. I don't see what posting more instructions will do to change anything. Sin. WoE.
"I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit; it's the only way to be sure."

I devoured my 'good' twin in utero

"Doctor Evil! I didn't spend six years in evil medical school to be called "Mister," thank you very much."

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:21 pm

Is this:

POSTING PROCEDURE FOR NEW MEMBERS

To aid us in our battle against spambots, new members MUST follow this procedure:

1. Submit a post in the thread called "The New Convert Thread - MAKE YOUR FIRST POST HERE".

2. Wait patiently for the post to be approved.

3. Submit a post in any other thread besides that one.

4. Wait patiently for that post to be approved.

5. Enjoy full posting privileges.
[/quote]

more than this:

Please note: From now on, first posts must be approved before they will appear. Any first posts made in other sections of the board will be deleted. Those that are made here will not appear immediately, as they must be individually approved by an admin. Please be patient.

cross referenced with this (from an entirely different thread):

ALL NEW MEMBERS MUST POST IN THE INTRO THREAD BEFORE THEY WILL BE ALLOWED TO POST ANYWHERE ELSE.

Furthermore, automatic post approval does not kick in until a poster has a positive post count (aka more than 0). Since posts in the Welcome section do not add to post count, what this means is that even if you have a gagillion posts in the Intro thread, every one of those gagillion posts will have to be approved by a moderator before they appear. And until you post in another section, you will NEVER have the ability to post without moderation. Also, that first post outside the Welcome section will also have to be approved.

So, even the most efficient poster will have their first two posts moderated by hand before they get free posting reign. And since none of the admin or mod staff here gets paid, and we all have super duper busy oh-so very important lives, you can all do us a favor by striving to be the most efficient poster ever. You can do this by, on your first visit, making two posts - one to the intro thread, and one to the thread you are most eager to participate in, and then - going away for a few hours. I usually make between 6-10 visits here a day to check for posts that require moderation, and other admins are here between those times, so if you just give us a little of your patience, you should be clear the hurdle relatively quickly. And by exhibiting a little early restraint, you can avoid having 12 posts awaiting moderation and wondering what the deal is.

I realize this is the absolute most coolest site on the entire intergalactic interwebs, but it only stays that way when the mod staff isn't cranky. A bit of moderation on the part of YOU means a little less moderation on the part of US.

while none of this information shows up in the Rules and Procedures thread or the FAQ?

No one here is suggesting MORE instructions, so much as clearer, more concise, and consistent instructions.

pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby pieces o'nine » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:45 pm

Desensitized wrote: . . .
I do have one slightly serious question that I feel the folk in this thread might be able to answer.

Why is there no option of Pirate language for the board's language!? I do realize some actually post in pirate language, but it still seems like a good idea.
. . .

Welcome, Desensitized, and congratulations for posting here first. (smile)
The short, accurate answer is that English is the default language of the entire site. You may post in almost any language of your choosing in Languages other then English.

The amusing answer is that there is no established spelling, syntax or grammar for piratese, thus no point in designing a built-in language option for it. There are numerous threads in Pirate Discussion in witch ye arrrgh hinvoited t' show us yer piratey beste, matey. Finally, Bart & I are pretty lax about piratese in the World of Other Stuff threads.

-pieces
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens

Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Capellini » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:03 am

The clarity of the rules in this case is irrelevant because the people being tripped up by this policy do not read the rules in the first place. They never even open the S+P section, because if they did, I bet they'd see in great big text "MAKE YOUR FIRST POST HERE".

Do you know how many of the disapproved posts include something like 'I'm not sure where to post first, I read the threads in Standards and Practices, but it isn't clear, so I'm trying this'? ABSOLUTELY NONE. Do you know how often I get a private message with that type of question? NEVER. I have never since the start of this policy seen that post, or anything like it. Ever. Do you know what I do see? "OMG this site is awesome!!!" or "Any pastafarians in detroit?" or "I saw an FSM in my cereal this morning, here are the photos!" And do you know where those posts are made? 99% of the time in the exact appropriate thread. These are people who have no trouble reading, finding where they want to post and putting it there, they just don't bother to read anything else first. They assume there are no rules are restrictions, and just start posting. The only way to fix that is to draw even more obnoxious attention to where you must start, which is likely to have no real effect, because it doesn't matter how gaudy something is if you're ignoring it.

The people who get tripped up by this do so in the following way: they join, they post somewhere, it doesn't show up right away so they post it again, it still doesn't show up, and then they either post an angry post elsewhere that ALSO doesn't show up, or start looking for an explanation, THEN find the New Post thread, and post accordingly. A large percentage of our new members have their first post somewhere else, and their second in the New Post thread. Another large percentage posts once in the wrong place and then not again, until they get their disapproved message, at which point they return, post appropriately, and carry on. But again, NO ONE expresses an inability to find where to post first after having stated they read the provided material. And that is probably because of 'MAKE YOUR FIRST POST HERE', something only people who never even enter that section would miss.

But despite Qwerty's portrayal of this policy as something that a lot of people have a problem with (and since he doesn't moderate any posts I don't know what makes him think he knows that), most new members have no problem getting started. I spend more time approving new member posts and deleting spam than I do disapproving posts.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:19 am

It stills seems to me that the procedure could easily be made clearer. Maybe it wouldn't make a huge difference, but why would we not want to have this be as easy and clear as possible?

And no, I don't moderate posts and I don't know exactly what all the problems people are having. But the fact that people have similar frustrations points to there being a problem in the system, though maybe it's their problem as well. Of course, we can't do anything to fix them, but we can fix how things are explained here.

Maybe I'm just a perfectionist, though. :P

DiabloDoc
Conchigliette Convert

Postby DiabloDoc » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:42 pm

Greetings! I'm here to give my two cents wherever I see fit until I have eventually invaded all of your minds. By the power of the FSM. :P

Mechtaur
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Mechtaur » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:21 am

Hey, been a follower of the site for a while. Thought I would make an account and start looking a bit deeper.

Any ways... Cheers all. :)

Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Ubi Dubius » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:50 am

Welcome snipens and mechtaur! I'm glad you found the forums and I hope you'll be busy posters soon.

Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roy Hunter » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:07 pm

Welcome, new folks all!

We have a parrot, a puppy and a toddler, none of whom are housetrained, watch out for the occasional troll (although with the American mid-terms coming up, they're probably all to busy writing placards in purple crayon saying "OBAMA=MUSLIN" to spend much time here), and there are cookies to be had for the well-behaved (and fish 'ed stoo for the not-well-behaved).

Enjoy!

Return to “Standards and Practices”