The New Convert Thread - MAKE YOUR FIRST POST HERE

This is the section that includes the forum rules, and standard operating procedures. You can't post to the rest of the forum until you've posted here. Don't bother trying.

Moderators: Other Stuff Mods, Serious Mods, All Things Mods, phpBB2 - Administrators

exanglo
Ziti Zealot

Postby exanglo » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:19 am

:D Wonderful! Well, then, instead I shall simply thank His Holiness for his unending tolerance of our different eating preferences.

I forgot to say - I was brought up as an anglican (loosely) so it is a real relief to find the FSM at last. :fsm_rock:
Hail Him and His Noodly Apendage, for He created all, beginning with a mountain, a tree, and a midgit.

Why are pirates pirates?
Because they Arr!
:pirate_fish::pirate_fish::pirate_fish:

The Meromorph
Sweet Moderation
Location: Sailing away to Vindravan, eating my tears with laughter.

Postby The Meromorph » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:34 pm

I, too, am a diabetic.
The advice of dieticians on dietary management for diabetics has varied widely for the last fifteen years (to my personal knowledge). It was certainly considered irrefutable 15 and more years ago that diabetics need a defined amount of (preferably complex) carbohydrates in their diet. I found that advice completely false for me. The 'science' has changed at least twice since then... 'Glycemic Index' has proved somewhat useful, but needs to be interpreted more skillfully (and more personally) than most 'diabetic educators' seem capable of (They've been thoroughly trained, and seem unable to vary from what they've been trained to).
I've finally 'ended up' with an endocrinoligist who not only says it's up to me to manage my diabetes, but actually believes it. The dieticians who work for her have come to know that, too, and when I want to discuss a problem I can't figure out myself, they give me the 'facts' they're basing their thoughts on, and listen to my experience,(which sometimes contradicts those facts). Often we pull in the endocrinologist, who now comes very quickly (I'm apparently interesting :) ), and we work out a solution using what she can do much better, and what I can do better. It's now working very well (I think that's why I'm interesting :) ), but it's not quite the conventional approach...
I eat very little carbs at all, an almost pure protein breakfast, a 'substantial' lunch (often with some carbs - it's hard to avoid all carbs at restaurants), and a 'normal' dinner. Then I exercise (walking, hard walking for 40 minutes every night) at about 9:00 pm. We needed high levels of medication a while ago to 'enable' the hard exercise every night to (re-)begin, after I'd 'lost control', but now we're already back to 'normal or lower levels', and we keep needing to back off further on medication every couple of weeks.
I'm only claiming this works for me, in fact I truly believe each diabetic needs to study the way their own body reacts, and actively adjust to their own solutions. My endocrinologist is not yet ready to move completely to such idiosyncratic treatments, she still uses the 'standard formulas' for everyone else, but is at least wondering whether the typical mixed success of those standard formulas is really due to 'patient non-compliance' as conventional wisdom has it...

The one 'conventional wisdom' that I have found more important than is generally emphasized, is the critical importance of exercise. I've now invested in a treadmill, because it enables me to guarantee a specific amount and severity of exercise in any weather, no excuses, no guesswork. A good treadmill costs at least $600 (and that requires a lot of research), $800 is more realistic, but if that's the route that works for you, you're going to be using it every day for the rest of your life, and it's an investment in both the length and quality of your life - it's worth getting one that will last.

Though this is a strange place for this discussion to flower, it does come up in this thread, in just the way it just has, significantly often, and I thought you guys might be interested in my own experience...
Laughing in the rain.
Dancing in the desert sand,
Somersaults through life.

beagle
Brewmeister

Postby beagle » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:51 pm

Meromorph's comments seem to confirm what I've heard elsewhere. That for some diabetics a largely Atkins type diet can be beneficial.

Scurvy Cpt. Jergan
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Scurvy Cpt. Jergan » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:52 pm

AHOY pastafarians! I am Scurvy Cpt. Jergan, would this be the way to convert? Maybe one day a ceremony will be involved, that would be great.
Do not ever Jib to bear papple apple butter my friends.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:54 pm

the ceremony is completely in your head.

this is just a forum formality.

if you want to do a phyiscal ceremony, thats your choice.

some people have talked about a beer/marinara batpism. I don't think anyones actually gone through with it...
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

Scurvy Cpt. Jergan
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Scurvy Cpt. Jergan » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:07 pm

Hmm sounds like fun, I'll have to have a "ceremony" some time.
Do not ever Jib to bear papple apple butter my friends.

Kronos the Krazee
Ziti Zealot

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Kronos the Krazee » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:15 pm

I'm tansy's son. This looks like a fun place,lock your doors and start expecting me to be there very soon.

Kronos the cookie lover! mmmmmmmmm........
999 - I'm only evil when I stand on my head.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:32 pm

*gush* *gush* *gush*

may I say I am truly honoured to be the first to welcome you to this amazing forum filled with intellectual discussions and complete inanity. side by side, often confused. you'd be amazed with some of the philosiphy coming out of the random crazy forums....

did you make that quote up for your avatar, or is it for something?
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

Kronos the Krazee
Ziti Zealot

no

Postby Kronos the Krazee » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:16 pm

no,i went through my mums pictures and i liked it. I've got alot more weird pictures,so dont tick me off man,ive got pictures!

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:31 pm

I highly doubt you have any pictures of me.

let us leave the new converts thread, for the DD doth get angrily when it overfloweth with babblings.

Kronos the Krazee
Ziti Zealot

picture

Postby Kronos the Krazee » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:22 am

Tell me what you look like and i can draw a picture.

Kronos the bad drawer.

Bam
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Bam » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:27 am

I am Bam! :fsm_float:

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:00 am

Bam....bi?

just Bam then.

well, welcome.

I'm suprised you didn't start out with a bam. like

BAM! I am bam!

or something.

hopefully you can make up for it by going out with a Bam.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

pdxpirate
Ziti Zealot

Ahoy thar fellow converts

Postby pdxpirate » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:15 pm

Happy to make port with such denizens of the new world religion.

Love the squid emoticons too, although I get a "not found on this server" message whhen I try and use one...

Hail to all things squiddly.

Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:22 pm

Welcome aboard!

These guys (gals?) :) :D :wink: :roll: are the FSM emoticons, and there shouldn't be a problem with them, but you never know...

Some of them fsmidea zzoomm o_o fsm drinking are custom jobbies that only work if you know the 'password' they replace.

Perhaps you can describe the problems you're having in more detail? There's a Forum Issues area here if you want to start a thread:
http://www.venganza.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=48

Return to “Standards and Practices”