Did you hear who died?

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Re: Did you hear who died?

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:00 am

Yeah, so sad he died and all that, but Teddy was in it for himself as much as anyone. The main reason the Cape Wind project is still on the drawing board and not making electricity is because he didn't want to be able to see windmills from his place on Martha's Vineyard. All for the public good, just so long as you can't see it from his place. We have wind towers going up in and around my area like gang busters, with NIMBY people who are not senators just getting bulldozed off to the side, but when Ted and his family and rich pals are the NIMBYs, no dice. :annoyed:
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

What happens when all the renewable energy runs out?
-- Victoria Ayling

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:17 am

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:Yeah, so sad he died and all that, but Teddy was in it for himself as much as anyone. The main reason the Cape Wind project is still on the drawing board and not making electricity is because he didn't want to be able to see windmills from his place on Martha's Vineyard.

I thought that was more to do with not wanting to piss off voters on Martha's Vineyard?
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:42 am

Those would be Ted's rich friends. Population of Martha's Vineyard = +/- 15,000, maybe 50% voters. Say 75%. that's 11,250 voters. Population of Massachusetts = +/- 6.5 million. Potential beneficiaries of cape wind = A really wicked lot more.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Victoria Ayling

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:03 am

But aren't there a lot of people from other parts of Massachusetts that have vacation homes, or vacation regularly, in Martha's Vineyard?
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:09 pm

There are lots of people from lots of places, some in Mass, some elsewhere, that have vacation homes there. I'm pretty sure the number is significantly less than 6.5 million. I'd venture to say it's significantly less than 1% of 6.5 million.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Victoria Ayling

Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roy Hunter » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:54 am

I must have missed this one being away on holiday.

John Ryan, creator of cartoon pirate Captain Pugwash.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:34 am

Roy Hunter wrote:I must have missed this one being away on holiday.

John Ryan, creator of cartoon pirate Captain Pugwash.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thank god I've got the box set!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Capellini » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:14 pm

Patrick Swayze and Jim Carroll
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill

TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby TwistedSister » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:06 pm

Crap! Patrick Swayze died????
I didn't know that until now.

Damn. I really was hoping he would pull through.
Damn! Damn!! Damn!!!

Life really isn't fair at times. :furious: :furious: :cry: :cry: :cry:

He was one sexy dude.

Crap again.
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.

Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Capellini » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:39 pm

Sadly, pancreatic cancer is not the kind of thing one 'pulls through'. The ACS puts 5 year survival at 4%.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill

Roy Hunter

Postby Roy Hunter » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:45 am

"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:28 am

You beat me to it...and only last night I was watching Keith Allen's programme about him.

I'm very sad because I don't usually like TV chefs but Floyd was great.

I must tell this story.

Back in the 1990s a group of friends and I went to stay in Tuckenhay Mill in Devon, near Dartmouth. It was winter and on the first evening we set off down a dark lane next to Bow Creek to find somewhere to eat.

After about a quarter of a mile we came upon an old pub next to the river. The pub looked a bit grim with it's sign swinging in the wind, it was called The Maltsters Arms. It didn't look like the sort of place that would do food but we decided to call in for a drink before carrying on down the lane.

We opened the front door and to our utter amazement we were greeted by none other than Keith Floyd...it was HIS pub.

We all sat round a big table in a lovely room with a log fire and were personally served by Floyd himself. He was such a character and by the end of the evening we were so drunk Floyd said "you lot are going to need this' and he gave us a signed copy of his video 'Floyd on Hangovers'!

We went back about a year later and ate at Floyd's pub again but shortly after that the place went bust...I think Keith Floyd's business partner ran off with the proceeds or something.

What a character...he'll be sadly missed.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Roy Hunter

Postby Roy Hunter » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:52 am

black bart wrote:We went back about a year later and ate at Floyd's pub again but shortly after that the place went bust...I think Keith Floyd's business partner ran off with the proceeds or something.
Auntie wrote:A lack of business acumen plagued Floyd throughout his career, and he went bankrupt in the 1990s reportedly after a £36,000 cheque he had accepted for a drinks bill bounced.
Anything you feel you need to share with us about that, Bart?

black bart wrote:What a character...he'll be sadly missed.
Absolutely. I shall raise a glass and "Have a quick slurp" to him.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:03 am

£36,000!!!!!!

No wonder I had a hang over...luckily I had Floyd's video to help me get over it.

TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby TwistedSister » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:56 pm

I see no one cares about Patrick. 'cept me and Cap.
Humph!!!!!!!!!!!
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.

Return to “Miscellaneous Discussion”