Did you hear who died?

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It
Location: Ex-Pyrate of the Canberrean, now bobbing about in Cork

Re: Did you hear who died?

Postby Tigger_the_Wing » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:11 pm

^ Obviously a great advertisement for clean living. :whistle:

Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roy Hunter » Sun May 01, 2011 5:51 pm

Sir Henry Cooper, 76, former English, European and Commonwealth Heavyweight boxing champion who knocked down Cassius Clay (Muhammad Ali) in 1963. Probably best remembered for the Brut adverts. Splash it all over...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

farfalla
Feline Fatale

Postby farfalla » Sun May 01, 2011 11:33 pm

Osama bin Laden.... maybe... (perhaps it is Elvis)
~~~~~~/\~~~~~~

The heart has its reason, of which reason knows nothing. -Pascal - thanks, Z

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."
Cpt Jack Sparrow

"I'm used to going out at 3 in the morning and doing something stupid."
Alan Moore

Silk 'n mind

Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby Tigger_the_Wing » Sun May 01, 2011 11:41 pm

I wouldn't trust HuffPo, but the BBC has announced it too.

Bring the troops home; no sense in prolonging the 'war on terror' now, is there?

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Mon May 02, 2011 12:21 am

Tigger_the_Wing wrote:Bring the troops home; no sense in prolonging the 'war on terror' now, is there?

False. While this is definitely a blow to Al'Qaeda, and a definite success for the US on many levels, it by no means that "We won!" or "War's over!" or anything that idyllic.

War on terror != war on Osama.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Rainswept » Mon May 02, 2011 12:27 am

Either way, it's the 1st time in the history of this thread that sadness wasn't the emotion I got from the death.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.

Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby Tigger_the_Wing » Mon May 02, 2011 1:24 am

I'm inclined to believe that withdrawing the troops prior to the death of Bin Laden would have been taken by both him and Al-Qaeda as a victory for them. However, I think that leaving the troops there now he's dead is doing nothing whatsoever to protect the West from terrorists, but is, in fact, prolonging the 'war on terror' by encouraging further converts to Al-Qaeda's cause.

We'd win faster (and cheaper) with daily carpet-bombings of Big Macs.

US largesse would win 'hearts and minds' far more efficiently than killing people.

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Mon May 02, 2011 3:13 am

Time for some thread derailing!

Tigger_the_Wing wrote:I wouldn't trust HuffPo, but the BBC has announced it too.

Are you saying that because Poopyhead rants against them?
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby Tigger_the_Wing » Mon May 02, 2011 5:03 am

Does he? No, I prefer British to USAian news sources for potentially partisan news. Image

TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby TwistedSister » Mon May 02, 2011 9:15 am

farfalla wrote:Osama bin Laden.... maybe... (perhaps it is Elvis)

What a shame.............NOT.
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Mon May 02, 2011 11:27 am

Tigger_the_Wing wrote:I'm inclined to believe that withdrawing the troops prior to the death of Bin Laden would have been taken by both him and Al-Qaeda as a victory for them. However, I think that leaving the troops there now he's dead is doing nothing whatsoever to protect the West from terrorists, but is, in fact, prolonging the 'war on terror' by encouraging further converts to Al-Qaeda's cause.

Are you confusing the war on terror with the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq? I'm all for pulling out of there as soon as is reasonable (which is a whole other conversation), but I take the "war on terror" to be more of a broad scope thing, like the "war on drugs." That is, it's a war on all terrorism, though particularly anti-american, anti-western terrorism that might directly affect us, of course. That doesn't stop with Al Qaeda or Osama. To think that we can just go back home and call it a day now that we've got the mastermind of the 9/11 attacks is to see only a part of a larger picture.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you that our actions in the middle east aren't making us too many friends, and that especially now that we've got Osama, it should be easier to wrap things up (I hope), but killing one man doesn't save us from terrorist attacks forever.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

Julius Aurora
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Julius Aurora » Mon May 02, 2011 6:52 pm

The death of Bin Laden is just an excuse for even more jingoistic crap to come out of the white house. If anything, the war(s) should be able to continue while moral is high, and the public is feeling all good about themselves and their fellows fighting.

On another note, my old sensie Craig Fraser, 67. Lung cancer.
1. The cosmos is a gigantic flywheel making 10,000 revolutions a minute.
2. Man is a sick fly taking a dizzy ride on it.
3. Religion is the theory that the wheel was designed and set spinning to give him a ride.
- Henry Mencken

Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem!

Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby Tigger_the_Wing » Mon May 02, 2011 7:48 pm

I'm sorry for your loss, Julius. Did you keep in touch with your old sensei? I know my son tends to keep in touch with his.

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:
Tigger_the_Wing wrote:I'm inclined to believe that withdrawing the troops prior to the death of Bin Laden would have been taken by both him and Al-Qaeda as a victory for them. However, I think that leaving the troops there now he's dead is doing nothing whatsoever to protect the West from terrorists, but is, in fact, prolonging the 'war on terror' by encouraging further converts to Al-Qaeda's cause.

Are you confusing the war on terror with the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq? I'm all for pulling out of there as soon as is reasonable (which is a whole other conversation), but I take the "war on terror" to be more of a broad scope thing, like the "war on drugs." That is, it's a war on all terrorism, though particularly anti-american, anti-western terrorism that might directly affect us, of course. That doesn't stop with Al Qaeda or Osama. To think that we can just go back home and call it a day now that we've got the mastermind of the 9/11 attacks is to see only a part of a larger picture.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you that our actions in the middle east aren't making us too many friends, and that especially now that we've got Osama, it should be easier to wrap things up (I hope), but killing one man doesn't save us from terrorist attacks forever.

I'm not confusing them. I'm saying that keeping troops in either country is actually aggravating the 'war on terror' (as if one can wage war on something as nebulous) as it is engendering resentment in whole new generations. If the West were to pour the money currently spent on weapons into foreign aid, send teachers, nurses and doctors instead of soldiers, build new infrastructure instead of destroying that which is already there, then there would be no reason for the populace to fear the West and no grounds for the imams and others to whip up anti-West feeling, thus feeding into the mindset that produces terrorists.

If the USA wants the Middle East to stop viewing them as bullies, they should stop acting like bullies, and should stop dragging other countries into unwinnable wars.

Instead of the aggressive attitude of 'war on… (drugs, terror, poverty etc.)' it's about time someone came up with a more co-operative slogan, such as 'Let's get together to increase… (happiness, health, wealth etc.)'.

Because, in parts of the world that are secure, it is because the people have jobs or a safety net of benefits when they are out of work; homes of their own or affordable state alternatives; universal healthcare; a benign and accountable police and government etc.; that they are not dissatisfied and ready to riot.

A 'war on…' a concept always ends up in a 'war on…' actual people. And when people are having war waged against them, they fight back.

In the 'carrot-and-stick' approach to control, it may be that the stick is perceived as having the quickest effect, but in fact it is the carrot that gives reliable long term results.

TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby TwistedSister » Mon May 02, 2011 9:21 pm

Sorry for your loss Julius.

Mr. TS's Uncle Bill. Age 88 passed away Friday. He was a WW2 Veteran who landed on the beach at Normandy. He was wounded during combat and received the Purple Heart. He had a stroke a few months ago and had some other issues and passed away at home. He was a hell of a funny guy and even though we didn't see him often, he treated me like family.
We went to his "viewing" yesterday and the family was glad his suffering was over.
He was 100% Irish, but I guess his family doesn't hold true with the whole Irish "farewell thing".
What a shame. I think Bill would have liked a big, happy party in honor of him. Of course, no one was really crying either, because he suffered so much in the end....but still. A fun loving guy, would have loved a fun ending.
Enjoy the beer Bill!!! You deserve it!
(I know he will enjoy the strippers!)
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.

Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Rainswept » Mon May 02, 2011 9:54 pm

Stop hijacking this thread. I put one up in the serious section for commentary on the departed dirtbag.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.

Return to “Miscellaneous Discussion”