Did you hear who died?

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Monobaz
Farfalle First Mate

Re: Did you hear who died?

Postby Monobaz » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:43 pm

Zsa Zsa Gabor, 9 husbands later, died aged 99. The number of the dragon features prominently. RIP.
"There was a time when religion ruled the world. It is known as the Dark Ages." Ruth Hurmence Green

Cardinal Fang
Lord of Linguini

Postby Cardinal Fang » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:22 pm

Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:56 pm

Well, shit.

And still four more days to go.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

What happens when all the renewable energy runs out?
-- Victoria Ayling

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

StayThirstyMyAguila
Definitely not Eric

Postby StayThirstyMyAguila » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:55 pm

Cardinal Fang wrote:2016 just can't end without taking a few more good 'uns

So

RIP

Rick Parfitt, Status Quo guitarist, 68
George Michael, pop superstar, 53
Liz Smith, comedy icon, 95
Carrie Fisher, actress, 60

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

CF

What about Carrie Fisher's mum?
And have you heard about what happened to Romeo and Juliet?!?! Too soon?

Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:19 pm

-- Philip K Dick

-- Victoria Ayling

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:31 pm

-- Philip K Dick

-- Victoria Ayling

Cardinal Fang
Lord of Linguini

Postby Cardinal Fang » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:41 pm

Sir Peter Mansfield - you may not know the name, but you definitely know what he helped to invent.

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roy Hunter » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:33 pm

Cardinal Fang wrote:Sir Peter Mansfield - you may not know the name, but you definitely know what he helped to invent.

CF

He volunteered to test the MRI on himself. You know, get into a huge magnetic field, turn it on, re-orientate all the atoms in your body, hope you didn't make a mistake transposing a decimal point...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

StayThirstyMyAguila
Definitely not Eric

Postby StayThirstyMyAguila » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:34 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:You know, get into a huge magnetic field, turn it on, re-orientate all the atoms in your body, hope you didn't make a mistake transposing a decimal point...

"the greatest minds of history" are mostly guys who got lucky. That or they usually just stole from guys who got lucky and weren't caught. Then you have the few guys who were actually pretty great (*cough* Albert Einstein <---Fun fact, a lady's man throughout his life). Mistakes are how most discoveries are made. Like the guy who contributed most to the atomic bomb. In case you haven't heard the story, here it is.
I forgot his name, but I do know he had a lab coat, a bunch of radioactivity equipment, a sphere of plutonium, and two hollow half-spheres of beryllium. The sphere fit perfectly between the two half-spheres to form one larger sphere. You might see where this is going.
Some colleagues were standing a good bit behind him while he experimented. He used a screwdriver to lift and lower the upper half-sphere and measure the effect on radioactivity levels. And then . . . he slipped. He only slipped a bit, but it was enough. The half-spheres completely closed around the plutonium.
He immediately tasted copper and saw white spots in his eyes. Instantly realizing what he'd done, he lifted the half-sphere and let it fall to the ground, but it was too late. He died in days.
And that was the discovery that put America on the tracks to winning WWII.
And we say the Russians cheated in the Cold War for using leaky nuclear reactors in their subs . . .

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:33 pm

StayThirstyMyAguila wrote:
Roy Hunter wrote:You know, get into a huge magnetic field, turn it on, re-orientate all the atoms in your body, hope you didn't make a mistake transposing a decimal point...

"the greatest minds of history" are mostly guys who got lucky. That or they usually just stole from guys who got lucky and weren't caught. Then you have the few guys who were actually pretty great (*cough* Albert Einstein <---Fun fact, a lady's man throughout his life). Mistakes are how most discoveries are made. Like the guy who contributed most to the atomic bomb. In case you haven't heard the story, here it is.
I forgot his name, but I do know he had a lab coat, a bunch of radioactivity equipment, a sphere of plutonium, and two hollow half-spheres of beryllium. The sphere fit perfectly between the two half-spheres to form one larger sphere. You might see where this is going.
Some colleagues were standing a good bit behind him while he experimented. He used a screwdriver to lift and lower the upper half-sphere and measure the effect on radioactivity levels. And then . . . he slipped. He only slipped a bit, but it was enough. The half-spheres completely closed around the plutonium.
He immediately tasted copper and saw white spots in his eyes. Instantly realizing what he'd done, he lifted the half-sphere and let it fall to the ground, but it was too late. He died in days.
And that was the discovery that put America on the tracks to winning WWII.
And we say the Russians cheated in the Cold War for using leaky nuclear reactors in their subs . . .

No. The so called 'demon core' was a plutonium based object and the first criticality incident (bringing the core close to a self-sustaining chain reaction) was on August 21, 1945. The same core was involved in a second incident (the one you refer to) on the 21st of May, 1946 involving Louis Slotin.

Little Boy was dropped on Hiroshima on August 6th, 1945. Fat Man was dropped on Nagasaki on August 9th, 1945. Both atomic bombs were dropped on Japan almost a year before the criticality incident you mentioned.

Edit - Is it too much to do basic fact checking and name the scientists involved? Apparently Enrico Fermi observed the 'getting close to criticality' experiments and warned them that they would be dead in a year if they continued being reckless like that.
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

I liked his explanation about what brought him to chemistry as much as the video itself - pieces o'nine

StayThirstyMyAguila
Definitely not Eric

Postby StayThirstyMyAguila » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:46 pm

It's not that it's too much work, I just didn't remember the "demon core" nickname. What was I supposed to Google, "nuclear breakthrough kills scientist"? I tried, and all I got was sites for Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Mostly Hiroshima though.

daftbeaker

Postby daftbeaker » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:25 pm

StayThirstyMyAguila wrote:It's not that it's too much work, I just didn't remember the "demon core" nickname. What was I supposed to Google, "nuclear breakthrough kills scientist"? I tried, and all I got was sites for Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Mostly Hiroshima though.

"Criticality incident" brings up a nice list of nuclear accidents, the second demon core incident 4th in the list. "Nuclear screwdriver accident" brings up the demon core incident as the first result.

"the greatest minds of history" are mostly guys who got lucky. That or they usually just stole from guys who got lucky and weren't caught. Then you have the few guys who were actually pretty great (*cough* Albert Einstein <---Fun fact, a lady's man throughout his life). Mistakes are how most discoveries are made. Like the guy who contributed most to the atomic bomb. Oppenheimer? Fermi? Teller? Einstein? In case you haven't heard the story, here it is.
I forgot his name, can't be bothered to google, it was Louis Slotin but I do know he had a lab coat, a bunch of radioactivity equipment same as anyone in the Manhattan Project or a secondary school physics teacher a sphere of plutonium, and two hollow half-spheres of beryllium. The sphere fit perfectly between the two half-spheres to form one larger sphere. You might see where this is going.
Some colleagues were standing a good bit behind him while he experimented. He used a screwdriver to lift and lower the upper half-sphere and measure the effect on radioactivity levels. And then . . . he slipped. He only slipped a bit, but it was enough. The half-spheres completely closed around the plutonium.But they didn't or it would have gone bang. Even if they didn't, Slotin couldn't have separated them in time if they had completely closed.
He immediately tasted copper and saw white spots in his eyes.You know this how? Instantly realizing what he'd done, he lifted the half-sphere and let it fall to the ground, but it was too late. He died in days.
And that was the discovery that put America on the tracks to winning WWII.As I've already said, the second demon core incident happened in 1946, after the war had finished

Perhaps more than other internet forums, we do demand a certain level of factual accuracy here. Given I was taught most of this stuff over a decade ago I don't remember the details. I found them out within 5 minutes of googling and following links.

I liked his explanation about what brought him to chemistry as much as the video itself - pieces o'nine

Probably Rye
Gnocchetti Galley Slave
Location: the 5th circle of hell, alternatively known as 'school'

Postby Probably Rye » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:32 pm

It really reflects on humanity as a whole when we start measuring how ****ed up a year was by how many celebrities died.
Rachel
ImageImage

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:23 pm

an' me hockey teem sukt :furious:
an' me footee teem lorst inna fynul :cry:
an' me baskitball teem lorst :furious:
an' me baseball teem lorst :furious:
an' oi ober cookt tha chikkin anna tha spagette :blush: :furious: :cry:

rrrrrrrrr
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.

daftbeaker

Postby daftbeaker » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:26 pm

Nef Yoo BlackBeard wrote:an' me hockey teem sukt :furious:
an' me footee teem lorst inna fynul :cry:
an' me baskitball teem lorst :furious:
an' me baseball teem lorst :furious:
an' oi ober cookt tha chikkin :blush: :furious: :cry:

rrrrrrrrr

Never mind that Nef Yoo, how did your rugby team do? We need to promote minority sports.

Return to “Miscellaneous Discussion”