Our Animals

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

ChowMein
Brewmeister

Re: Our Animals

Postby ChowMein » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:02 am

I lost my best bud Fritz over a year ago , this condo does not allow pets and i was in quandry over what to do for some time .
I left him in the care of someone who professed to love the critter but he loved crack more .I found out some time later when i phoned to arrange a visit that he was taken to the shelter and liked died there.
No words can adequately describe my grief or the hatred that still burns if i think of that thing that stills uses up precious oxygen , food , and water when poor ole Fritz likely sat in cage awaiting death wondering why he was locked up , scared and abandoned by his friends .
I weep now as I think of him waiting forlornly for me to come get him as i always had in the past from the vet.
He was rather old for a cat (17-19)with a nasty skin condition but he was a happy guy and still everyones friend . I hope this site never dies and his picture ( my avvie) remains as a tribute to him .

My roomie recently adopted a wee ginger tabby , a mutual friend smuggled him in on the pretense of picking up later to take to the shelter but i knew he was dumping him here ( i was offended to be thought of as so duh ), he took the wee guy from some character he passed on the street and took him home to his place after being told kitten was going to be dumped in a park to fend for himself .
But his appartment also had a no pet policy so he brought him here , i didnt want him since there is no replacing Fritz and another cat would just be a bitter reminder .
But my roomie took an instant liking to him and if i had no objection " Larry" would be our new roomie .
If he is discovered though they both will very likely leave , he has been here a month now and we have both grown very attached to the wee terror ( Havelock thee Sodden however , is attached to booze and basically ignores his welfare ).
The wee guy has a healthy appetite and can now peer over the top of the coffee table , balled up newsprint , string , squeaky fake mouse are fun toys but his favourite toys are me or his new prime servant .
I dont know who has more play scars ( Havelock thee Sodden has none .)
As i feared , i have become Larry's primary companion and he showers me with as much facelicking and head nuzzling as he does with his new owner .
I refuse to think of myself as co-owner of him since i hope when we part company in the future i will not mourn his loss as i will Fritz for the remainder of my life .

ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:58 pm

So sorry to learn poor Fritz's cruel fate. Please don't let that be a reason to avoid animal companionship in the future. We have said goodbye to so many of our little pals over the years - most recently Callie Little passed over a couple of weeks ago, and old friend Mr. Jones' time is not long away. Their time is too short but they bring such enrichment. There are at least 40 little boxes of ashes in the blue room, each one is painful to see but brings back such happy memories. I can't imagine not having any fuzzy little buddies around.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

What happens when all the renewable energy runs out?
-- Victoria Ayling

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

Rigger Tony
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Rigger Tony » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:37 pm

I agree with ET, don't let it stop you from spreading the love to a new fury friend.
I too have seen them come and pass and it's sad but, a new happy face that needs love helps you to move on.
Right now I have two purr faced friends in the house and another one living out back under the shed!

"I be luvin' um wit all me heart mates, I've no regrets... only a kind thought or two for them what set sail for the far horizon..."
"The Boss in in the sauce... and sometimes on it." Me.

ChowMein
Brewmeister

Postby ChowMein » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:28 pm

Yarr mateys , at thee moment our new furry four leggetty feline friend is having a grand ole time . He is learning to keep his claws sheathed and not bite so hard . He seems to gravitate towards me more than anyone else here and his constant nuzzling and chin licking has certainly endeared himself to us . Even Havelock thee Sodden is giving him a little attention , very little , but it is a start , but alcohol is his still his number one priority .
I think Larry is about three months old , his ginger colou appears to have deepened and his mackeral markings are pronounced , he will be a handsome tabby when fully grown .
He is also one of the few cats i have known that allows us hold him like a baby ie. with his belly exposed , i wonder if that will continue upon maturity.

ChowMein
Brewmeister

Postby ChowMein » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:42 am

Hairy Larry has grown , he is not a big cat , 8 lbs ?

We are best buds now , he kisses my face daily , climbs on my to hug me , still exposes his belly to me and Mad Dog .
Lots of slow blinks and love bites , i am his go to guy but will be leaving for a year or so to see my brother to the great beyond or oblivion ( whuchever it be ) .

I hope he does not miss me for too long , his crying at the door will give him away and he will be kicked out .
If tgat happens i hope to smuggle him into the Pan Am building with me .

Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:51 am

We said goodbye to baby Gracie the other day. Cancer. She was about 10 or 12 years old, another one with radial agenisis. She never did socialize very well with the others. Gonna be a hell of a crowd at the rainbow bridge when I finally get there. Coco, Beeper, Radio, Snoopy, Nuke, Rocky, Stinky, Winkie, Psycho, Lucky, Sneaky Pete, Girlie, Cody, Hightops, Mondo, PeeWee, Harry, Pez, Cutie, Rocky II, Amos, Kara, Izzy, Chellie, Jaws, Fudgie, Spike, Woofie, Devil Kitty, Mr. Jones, Elvis, Smudgie, Harley, Joey, Wakka, Calli, and Tictac have all gone ahead. Still have 20 more, plus the dog, and I might have missed one or two. 21 is our lowest total for quite some time. I think we had 23 when we moved up here 15 years ago. We maxed out at 44, been on the downswing for a few years now. Keeps me off the streets, I suppose.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Victoria Ayling

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

ChowMein
Brewmeister

Postby ChowMein » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:42 am

I have only waited on a grand total of five cats at once , all rescues and one neighbourhood that liked to visit every day .
I found good homes for them all .
Fritz remained boss cat the entire time though "Big Boy" ( a Maine Coon ) was twice his size .
I look forward to meeting up again with Basher , Katy , MuckMuck , Tuffy , KitKat ,Kat , Big Boy and Fritz once again .
We'll go hang out with PoN and Dom .

ItchyPirate
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby ItchyPirate » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:14 pm

I found a little kitten abandoned in a local parking lot back in June. Stray cats are nothing new around here, and I normally don't worry about them -- cats are very versatile and capable of thriving just about anywhere there's food and water to be found. It's when I find a kitten with no mother nearby that I get worried, especially with this one: she had some sort of "eye goo" that was glueing her eyes shut (she looked to be a month old, and they're able to see at roughly 1 to 2 weeks), and she seemed weaker than most 1-month-olds (which is fairly weak to begin with since they're only just beginning to walk around and explore on their own).

I called for a ride and took her to a local animal shelter. They asked us to foster her for a couple of weeks so she could recover and not make the other animals sick. It was while we were fostering her that she started climbing into my bed to cuddle with me. She even figured out how to push her way underneath the blanket, and would grab at my belly with her mouth similar to the way kittens try to grab at their mothers for feeding. That's when I decided to keep her.

We have two adult cats, a mother and a daughter. They normally stay outside all summer (except in those rare instances where the temperature approaches 100 Farenheit), and we brought them in near the beginning of October when the weather started getting cold. They're mature enough not to go "marking their territory", but they seem to fight with the kitten a lot. They're even tense enough that the mother keeps attacking her own daughter for seemingly no reason! :furious: :facewall: :nefyoobash:

I keep having to separate them and stick them in separate rooms to calm them down.

The kitten seems quite healthy though, and she still seems to treat me like her mother instead of her property (which is a bit odd considering the old'n'true mantra "You don't own your cat, your cat owns you" -- a mantra the two adults seem to hold to!). Hopefully soon, she and the other cats will learn to get along.

I still visit that parking lot as frequently as time will allow (at least once per week), just to see if I can spot the mother. So far, the only cat I've seen is a black midget cat (I wander if midget cats count toward being amoung His Noodliness' favored people?) and a smallish calico -- neither of which look remotely like the kitten (even ignoring fur color). Though I am thinking that the kitten was abandoned by people and that the mother might not be anywhere nearby -- it was while I was waiting for my ride that I saw a pair of kids come into the parking lot, and I overheard one of them say "kitty go kamikaze"; then they turned around and looked at me holding the kitten, gave me a bit of a surprised look despite the distance between us, then quietly kept walking. What nerve!

P.S. Even if I were a cat, I couldn't be a mother since I'm a dude, but the kitten doesn't seem to realize that! (cats in the wild rarely get input from their fathers, it's normally the mother that raises kittens)
Captain Itchy Pirate :fsm_yarr:

He who laughs, lasts. :lol:

"You can't argue with all the fools in the world. It is better to let them have their way, then trick them when they're not looking."
--Brom, character in Eragon by Christopher Paolini

Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:05 am

Your cats are looking to establish a new social pecking order. Any change in the number of cats in our household will initiate this behavior, regardless of the type of change - new cat arrives, old cat (high or low on the totem pole) passes on. With three cats you should have three litterboxes, unless you clean them more than once per day, in which case you could get by with two. Same with watering stations. If you feed constantly (always a pan of dry food out), you should have at least two of those stations as well.

With our menagerie, we have 12 litterboxes (cleaned twice daily); seven water bowls and three fountains (replenished twice daily); four dry food stations, and a morning round of individually tailored bowls with wet food. A couple of special case cats get supplementary feedings throughout the day. They have free access to roughly 1200 square feet, with numerous articles of cat-furniture and other opportunities for them to hang out in relative privacy. The older ones have seen so many come and go that they don't much notice any more (Romeow is nearly 20, and has lived with every one that I listed up there), but the 13-and-under crowd are not generally so easygoing.

Looks like I left poor old Squeekie off the list. What a great kitty he was.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Victoria Ayling

ItchyPirate
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby ItchyPirate » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:01 am

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:Your cats are looking to establish a new social pecking order. Any change in the number of cats in our household will initiate this behavior, regardless of the type of change - new cat arrives, old cat (high or low on the totem pole) passes on. With three cats you should have three litterboxes, unless you clean them more than once per day, in which case you could get by with two. Same with watering stations. If you feed constantly (always a pan of dry food out), you should have at least two of those stations as well.

The problem is, finding room in the messy department store we call our home to keep an extra litter box, and the money for all that litter! We can barely clean two of them twice a week :shocked:

Things seem to be calming down between two of the cat. Momma cat is still not happy. I think she's mad at her daught for getting cozy with the newcomer. She's always been an attention seeking diva prima doness! :lurk: :love: :evilgrin: :lech: :idiot: :haha: :fsm_rock: :jack: :bounce: :grin:

"You can't argue with all the fools in the world. It is better to let them have their way, then trick them when they're not looking."

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:16 am

Dere iss wun gude fing a bowt haffing pet snales .......

......dey all ways die at hoam . :welcome:
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.

ItchyPirate
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby ItchyPirate » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:29 pm

Nef Yoo BlackBeard wrote:Dere iss wun gude fing a bowt haffing pet snales .......

......dey all ways die at hoam . :welcome:

And hermit crabs :lech:

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:52 pm

ItchyPirate, hermit crabs frequently leave their shells to move into new ones. It's one of their most popular and interesting behaviors. I'm sure they can die between shells. Snails though, not so much.
[email protected]#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. [email protected]#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!

ChowMein
Brewmeister

Postby ChowMein » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:25 am

Mad Dog McFlanagan brought aboard a laser pointer for his cat , Harold Lawrence . A good tyme had by all .
Along with Mad Dog was Captain Shaggy whom had previously been on another ship berthing three fertile female felines .
Harry Larry spent an hour molesting our guest Shaggy's arm thrice , mine own once (hastily , Shaggy faced several sustained attacks) until the Captain removed his greatcoat and washed his hands .
The cat then returned to the elusive red dot .

ChowMein
Brewmeister

Postby ChowMein » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:05 pm

The cat has been walking over and on my head early in the morning while i am trying to sleep .He then lies on the side of my face or beside my head and purrs .This has been occurring for the past ten days .
I find it amusing but I think i should discourage it but am not sure how to go about it .

Return to “Miscellaneous Discussion”