Why Brits are better than Yanks

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Cardinal Fang
Lord of Linguini

Re: Why Brits are better than Yanks

Postby Cardinal Fang » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:20 pm

bonsaiherb wrote:
Brit beer IMHO is far superior to most US beers. Most commercially made American beers are a little like making love in a canoe

Cardinal Fang, with due respect have you tried some good Oregon and Washington brews? Never thought about the latter part of your quote but it is more possible than in a kayak.

Throw in good American wines,whiskey, bourbon, and even rum (New Orleans) - just what do the 'Brits' have to offer? One reason you were so desperate to keep in the Scot's.

Admittedly your Caribbean colonies make some of the world’s best rums but I do not think it flows from the Thames.
Back to the suds: Both Oregon and Washington have GREAT India Pale Ale (IPA) and Barley Wine.
Our Winter Ales may just compete with some of the Scottish Ales.

As for your English 'Bitter's' you can keep them. I'll take any Czech beer over those.

IPA was invented in the UK

English bitters are only one of the myriad styles of proper ale from the UK. I'll be honest I don't care for bitter - but a good golden ale (Otter Bright, made by Otter Breweries, or Thirst Run, made by Keswick Brewing Co are current favourites), or a good pale ale (very fond of Camden Pale Ale) and you're talking. Even many of the homegrown lager style beers are excellent - Harviestoun Schiehallion, 60 Degree North and Curious Brew for example.

So :moon: to the Czechs

And yes, I'll concede that Scotland staying in the UK means we don't lose some of their fine ales - Innis and Gunn Rum Cask conditioned ale being IMHO one of the most amazing beers ever - and we get to keep BrewDog as well.

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

Griffin
WatsonOfSherlock

Postby Griffin » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:40 pm

bonsaiherb wrote:
Admittedly your Caribbean colonies make some of the world’s best rums but I do not think it flows from the Thame.

Admittedly, the Thames is a bit of a sewer. But all that might change when we get the new London Super Sewer.
Grand Deducer Watson of Sherlock. NoName, no pack drill. Astral zone changed five times a day (flexible). Great at manifesting parking spaces by thought control. Hatred of terminology of survivors and commitment to win-win reality.

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:57 pm

bonsaiherb wrote:Throw in good American wines,whiskey, bourbon, and even rum (New Orleans) - just what do the 'Brits' have to offer? One reason you were so desperate to keep in the Scot's.

The 'Brits' are the English, Scottish and Welsh (but commonly includes the Northern Irish as the 'United Kingdomish' is a bit of a mouthful). Maintaining the Union had nothing to do with diversity of booze and everything to do with the stability of a country. Unless you're suggesting the American Civil War was fought so the Yankees would have native rums? :haha:

bonsaiherb wrote:As for your English 'Bitter's' you can keep them. I'll take any Czech beer over those.

That's your opinion. When you've got past the English bitters there's still the porters, stouts, milds, pale ales (regular and India), ciders and perrys before you even get out of the 'drinks served in pints' range. There aren't many things I will argue that the UK does better than anyone else but beer is one of them. The fact you have to ask if we've tasted 'Oregon or Washington' beers is particularly telling, have you tried London stouts or Somerset ciders or Burton-upon-Trent bitters?

Admittedly there are aberrations like Boddingtons but even our cheap nasty lagers like Carling have far more flavour than the American 'premium' mass market beers like Budweiser, the rice-brewed dishwater that it is. Don't get me started on 'light' beer like Coors and Rolling Rock, it tastes like someone left alcohol-free beer out overnight and then actively removed any sort of taste or flavour :idiot:

Cardinal Fang wrote:And yes, I'll concede that Scotland staying in the UK means we don't lose some of their fine ales - Innis and Gunn Rum Cask conditioned ale being IMHO one of the most amazing beers ever - and we get to keep BrewDog as well.
CF

I like the taste of Brewdog stuff but I'm always put off by the pretentious wank written on the side of the bottles. It's like they've got a semi-literate sixth former that's just discovered 'grown up' music to write an advert as part of a business studies class.
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

I liked his explanation about what brought him to chemistry as much as the video itself - pieces o'nine

Cardinal Fang
Lord of Linguini

Postby Cardinal Fang » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:09 pm

daftbeaker wrote:I like the taste of Brewdog stuff but I'm always put off by the pretentious wank written on the side of the bottles. It's like they've got a semi-literate sixth former that's just discovered 'grown up' music to write an advert as part of a business studies class.

Well there's your mistake - leaving your beer drinking long enough to read the bottle.

CF

daftbeaker

Postby daftbeaker » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:59 pm

Cardinal Fang wrote:
daftbeaker wrote:I like the taste of Brewdog stuff but I'm always put off by the pretentious wank written on the side of the bottles. It's like they've got a semi-literate sixth former that's just discovered 'grown up' music to write an advert as part of a business studies class.

Well there's your mistake - leaving your beer drinking long enough to read the bottle.

Nope, I look at the bottles when I'm in Tesco. Their IPA is really nice but the combination of the price and rubbish on the label makes me feel like the checkout staff are judging me :idiot:

Especially when Tesco had 12 cans of Bombardier or Fursty Ferret for a tenner a few weeks ago, it's hard to justify spending £3 per pint on bottled beer when there's equally good bitter at less than £1 a pint :love:

I liked his explanation about what brought him to chemistry as much as the video itself - pieces o'nine

bonsaiherb
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby bonsaiherb » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:15 pm

HALP -- This Yank feels like he's been Limeyed ***

The fact you have to ask if we've tasted 'Oregon or Washington'm beers is particularly telling, have you tried London stouts or Somerset ciders or Burton-upon-Trent bitters?

For gosh sakes I would never defend the Bud or Coor
or the many worse beers that have been fortified with alcohol for the red neck cretins in America. That said I LOST a damn good post that:

1: Reminded everyone that both sides of the Atlantic benefited by the Czechoslovakian/Bohemian strains of Hops, Barley and Yeast. (My background of course) Cardinal Fang placed a bare butted octopi under that Czech beer comment I had made.
2. "Brit" now includes Wales, N. Ireland, Scotland and England. You are damn lucky you held onto Scotland even after Cameroning them to death. Without them, so much Whiskey would have been foreign owned as well as some of your best Ales.

Between oil, whiskey and beer I think they would have been welcomed in the EU. Mind you their participation in parliament kept the UKIPS at bay.

3 The clean water thing. Even in America finding clean water to process beer is becoming iffy. Unless you have artisan sources most water in the industrialized world is polluted. Japanese, Mexican or Chinese Beer -- all are suspect. So surprised that Alaska or Greenland haven't capitalized on this water resource potential.

**** Bring on the British watered-down rum (known as grog)!

daftbeaker

Postby daftbeaker » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:32 pm

bonsaiherb wrote:HALP -- This Yank feels like he's been Limeyed ***

Does that mean you're going to start drinking tea and warm brown beer? :haha:

bonsaiherb wrote:
daftbeaker wrote:The fact you have to ask if we've tasted 'Oregon or Washington' beers is particularly telling, have you tried London stouts or Somerset ciders or Burton-upon-Trent bitters?

For gosh sakes I would never defend the Bud or Coor
or the many worse beers that have been fortified with alcohol for the red neck cretins in America. That said I LOST a damn good post that:

1: Reminded everyone that both sides of the Atlantic benefited by the Czechoslovakian/Bohemian strains of Hops, Barley and Yeast. (My background of course) Cardinal Fang placed a bare butted octopi under that Czech beer comment I had made.

Regardless of which, we still make better beer :haha:

bonsaiherb wrote:2. "Brit" now includes Wales, N. Ireland, Scotland and England.

Only for Americans and daft people. Great Britain = England, Scotland and Wales. The United Kingdom = Great Britain and Northern Ireland. I am including whoever was in charge of naming the UK's Olympic team as 'Team GB' in the daft people category. What you said is like me saying that 'Texan' now includes people from Hawaii.

bonsaiherb wrote:You are damn lucky you held onto Scotland even after Cameroning them to death. Without them, so much Whiskey would have been foreign owned as well as some of your best Ales.

I'm not getting into the Scottish referendum here but if they did go independent, it would have made almost no difference to whisky (no 'e' with the Scottish stuff) sales south of the border. There are some nice ales brewed up there (I spent a bit too much in Glasgow pubs last time I was up there which Roy still hasn't forgiven me for) but nothing we can't cope without. Between Fuller's, Marston's, Wells & Youngs, Hog's Back and countless local breweries there's more than enough to go round. Having said that, I do miss March of the Penguins which apparently isn't being sold to the sassenachs at the moment :cry:

bonsaiherb wrote:3 The clean water thing. Even in America finding clean water to process beer is becoming iffy. Unless you have artisan sources most water in the industrialized world is polluted. Japanese, Mexican or Chinese Beer -- all are suspect.

Kirin beer from Japan is very nice, I did have a rather embarassing night on Kirin Ichiban (the stronger version) when I was younger where I woke up with several messages asking if I was ok. Disturbingly drinkable until it kicks in and you pick a fight before storming off :blush:

bonsaiherb wrote:**** Bring on the British watered-down rum (known as grog)!

The naval rum ration was cut down at several points over the years before being abolished in 1970. Incidentally, that watering down and adding lime juice is what gave us the nickname Limeys (only among Americans though, the French call us Rosbifs and the Germans Tommys). Still, it helped preserve the greatest navy in the world and since it was abolished the Royal Navy has been downgraded to a few dozen ships so it can't have been all bad :haha:

bonsaiherb
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby bonsaiherb » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:33 am

sassenachs
Now that term I can understand. I think it even evolved from 'Saxon' - anyhow it seems to refer to protestant English of even low-land Scots.

Rosbifs
I had never heard before. 'the roast beefs'? Anyhow no more offensive than 'Frogs.' the world is full of national and racial insults based on what people eat or drink. - "gastro-nationalism" Limey's Seems to me RosMouton would have even better. Mutton eaters!

(grog)it was abolished the Royal Navy has been downgraded to a few dozen ships so it can't have been all bad
Hey, when you are out of port for so many months you' d drink anything.

Not commented on are MEADS! and CIDERS! One thing I might concede to the English are the cider apples and hopefully the attempt to conserve old scions such as Brameleys Seedling, Cox's Orange Pippin* Ashmeads Kernel, Ashton Brown Jersey and of course many crab apples.

Most of these came from the British Isles. One up for you! For cider, a mix is best- you want to get some sugar, acidity, and tannins.

Some common examples are: Sweet: Fuji Gala Baldwin Braeburn Roxbury Russet

Acidic: McIntosh Northern Spy Winesap

Tannic: Cortland Cox's Orange Pippin

A good link would be http://extension.wsu.edu/maritimefruit/ ... Chart.aspx

Worse yet the British have the quinces as well but I rarely see anything offered as a drink, yet I think a 10 percent mix would make any cider more interesting. (tanin's) Beautiful trees!

Finished products and ratings of ciders. Sorta think the Yanks win!

5. Aspall Perronelle’s Blush English Draft Cider. 4. Aspall Perronelle’s Blush English Draft Cider, 1. Samuel Smith’s Organic Tadcaster, England

3. Woodchuck Winter Oak Aged Draft Cider Middlebury, Vt. 2. Crispin the Saint Minneapolis, Minn. Numbers 6- 11 are all American, then one from France.

Cardinal Fang
Lord of Linguini

Postby Cardinal Fang » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:03 pm

daftbeaker wrote:The naval rum ration was cut down at several points over the years before being abolished in 1970. Incidentally, that watering down and adding lime juice is what gave us the nickname Limeys (only among Americans though, the French call us Rosbifs and the Germans Tommys). Still, it helped preserve the greatest navy in the world and since it was abolished the Royal Navy has been downgraded to a few dozen ships so it can't have been all bad :haha:

There is an exception in the Royal Navy, where HM The Queen, or the Admiralty Board to do so can still order the issuing of a rum ration to all eligible hands (either on a specific ship, or across the fleet) with the command "Splice the mainbrace"

CF

bonsaiherb
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby bonsaiherb » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:06 pm

The naval rum ration was cut down at several points over the years before being abolished in 1970. Incidentally, that watering down and adding lime juice is what gave us the nickname Limeys (only among Americans though, the French call us Rosbifs and the Germans Tommys). Still, it helped preserve the greatest navy in the world and since it was abolished the Royal Navy has been downgraded to a few dozen ships so it can't have been all bad

OMG I didn't really understand the significance of that Rum. The implication being that Grog being abolished in 1970 led to the dismemberment of the British Navy totally escaped me. You now have only a few dozen ships and dare I say it, the French probably have the better navy at this point.

Aside from illogical conclusions it can't hurt or can it? You better start serving Grog again. Mind you the U.S. Navy never allowed firewater on their ships with possibly the exception of the submarine service. Your own comes to mind: HMS Astute story.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2013/jan/ ... l-shooting

In the US navy we have had similar incidents. Just love the idea of Boomers going off with drunken submariner's. Breathalyzers will be installed on all Navy ships and Marine Corps bases and submarines.

Source: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/B ... z3HfF4cYUv
Follow us: @nbcsandiego on Twitter | NBCSanDiego on Facebook

Cardinal Fang
Lord of Linguini

Postby Cardinal Fang » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:06 pm

bonsaiherb wrote:1: Reminded everyone that both sides of the Atlantic benefited by the Czechoslovakian/Bohemian strains of Hops, Barley and Yeast. (My background of course) Cardinal Fang placed a bare butted octopi under that Czech beer comment I had made.

*cough* It's a bare butted FSM

And the correct pleural of octopus is either octopuses or octopodes - not octopi </pedantry>

CF

bonsaiherb
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby bonsaiherb » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:23 pm

And the correct pleural of octopus is either octopuses or octopodes - not octopi

Octopi moves me octopodes belongs beneath the cover of some pendantic book. Octopuses reminds me of Pussy Galore. Color (colour) my ink purple I will keep my plural as is and what the heck is "pleural?"

Anyhow, I must digress from the sudsy topic and mention an issue that has my panties all a twist. I will cede this one to you U.K.r's if you can give me your own countries fee structure to visit national parks, beaches etc. Our government is increasing charges so much that most low income folks can no longer afford the visit. Our National Parks and Forests have become the stomping grounds for the tourist and the rich. Teddy Roosevelt would be turning over in his grave.

They did have a website for a BRIEF comment period -- even shorter than the one given to the Navy to use the Forest lands for Radar testing. (No outreach or publication in any Peninsula - or local paper -- all slick and slimy.)

“I am going to pay more in order to get irradiated from Navy Radar equipment?
Prostituting the National Forest is one thing, but some of these sites are right next to the Park.
This Navy intrusion into our Olympic Park and Forest system just sucks and you want me to pay more??? Good luck on that.”

Lots of money and tax dollars are allocated for aggressive, unprovoked, and illegal wars – new fighter planes that are overpriced and questionable in combat roles. Soon we will need to replace our old submarine ‘boomers’ and yup lots of money to upgrade the outdated nuclear missile system we have.

All my local politicians supported some 500 million to invade Syria a few years ago … but to subsidize the Park system. No-way. Its pay as you go. Hell with that!

BTW -- here's another issue. Legalized Pot/marijuana. Might we be ahead of you on this issue. Here is my weedy commentary on a great initiative that looks like it will pass in Oregon.

http://sweetgeodes.com/senft/?page_id=3289

Griffin
WatsonOfSherlock

Postby Griffin » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:32 pm

Most of our countryside/beaches/parks are free. There are some run by an organisation called the National Trust where there is a charge, and although I haven't visited any for years now, they can be quite expensive, but they are very well cared for and the money goes to keeping them up and especially often a country mansion/castle/etc within the groundds. There are botanical gardens run by various universities, museums etc. These vary enormously in whether they are free or charged. Then there are national monuments like Stone Henge where you have to pay, usually not too expensive, and money goes to their upkeep. It sounds like it is very different here than the US?
Grand Deducer Watson of Sherlock. NoName, no pack drill. Astral zone changed five times a day (flexible). Great at manifesting parking spaces by thought control. Hatred of terminology of survivors and commitment to win-win reality.

DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby DavidH » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:19 am

In Pompeii an archaeologist friend was telling me just how much damage the visitors do. He just hoped the 10 Euro entrance fee will cover it, on average.

Cap'nsam
Ziti Zealot

Postby Cap'nsam » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:58 am

[quote="bonsaiherb"][quote] Octopuses reminds me of Pussy Galore. Color (colour) my ink purple I will keep my plural as is and what the heck is "pleural?"

In human anatomy, the pleural cavity is the potential space between the two pleurae (visceral and parietal) of the lungs. The pleura is a large, thin sheet of tissue that wraps around the outside of your lungs and lines the inside of your chest cavity. Between the layers of the pleura is a very thin space. Normally it's filled with a small amount of fluid. The pleurae are the two constituent sheets of the pleura. So, there. :haha:

Return to “Miscellaneous Discussion”