Why Brits are better than Yanks

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

fremont
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Re: Why Brits are better than Yanks

Postby fremont » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:29 am

Though both of them are 1,000 years ago, they are still popular.

DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby DavidH » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:53 am

Oxford is the University. Cambridge is a technical college in the Fens. There can be no comparison.

Griffin
WatsonOfSherlock

Postby Griffin » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:18 pm

DavidH wrote:Oxford is the University. Cambridge is a technical college in the Fens. There can be no comparison.

Do technical colleges have the greatest literary genius's?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University ... Literature
Grand Deducer Watson of Sherlock. NoName, no pack drill. Astral zone changed five times a day (flexible). Great at manifesting parking spaces by thought control. Hatred of terminology of survivors and commitment to win-win reality.

DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby DavidH » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:03 am

Remember, most of these writers had left Cambridge before they wrote their famous stuff. :fsm_rock:

Griffin
WatsonOfSherlock

Postby Griffin » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:23 pm

Is this the 5 minute arguement or can anyone join in?
Grand Deducer Watson of Sherlock. NoName, no pack drill. Astral zone changed five times a day (flexible). Great at manifesting parking spaces by thought control. Hatred of terminology of survivors and commitment to win-win reality.

DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby DavidH » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:21 pm

Anyone can join in as long as they recognise the total justice of my claims. :lol:

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:42 pm

Can I just say Oxford and Cambridge are both full of very clever but irritatingly posh undergraduates.

Carry on :idiot:
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

I liked his explanation about what brought him to chemistry as much as the video itself - pieces o'nine

Monobaz
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Monobaz » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:55 pm

Bur the thread should be renamed: "Why Aussies are better than both".
"There was a time when religion ruled the world. It is known as the Dark Ages." Ruth Hurmence Green

Griffin
WatsonOfSherlock

Postby Griffin » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:09 pm

daftbeaker wrote:Can I just say Oxford and Cambridge are both full of very clever but irritatingly posh undergraduates.

Full? Let's be accurate. Not full of. Lots yes. <nit-picking>

DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby DavidH » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:57 am

Hmm ....

In my Oxford college we once did a rough head-count while discussing this subject, and worked out that well over half of our fellow-undergraduates had noticeable regional accents, mostly Northern. Dammit, I even have a strong Northern accent in German. :fsm_rock:

Griffin
WatsonOfSherlock

Postby Griffin » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:08 am

Actually for both universities, if you look at figures for state school intakes, the balance is not bad, although I think it has got worse in the last few years.

But I like the asssumption that to be posh you should not have a Northern Accent.

Cardinal Fang
Lord of Linguini

Postby Cardinal Fang » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:38 pm

My dungeon is in one of the Oxbridge cities. I'm firmly town, not gown - so I will just say that all of the undergraduates at both are equally irritating.

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

bonsaiherb
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby bonsaiherb » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:09 pm

Cardinal Fang wrote:
Capt'n Chestbeard wrote:As my Dad once told me:
'The difference between the Americans and the Brits is that Americans think 200 years is a long time, but the Brits think 200 miles is a long way'

Too true

What you Europeans fail to understand is that 'History' is old and irrelevant. Who needs to know what happened over 300 years ago? Americans understand this and have thrown aside that Greek/Roman trash, Persian, Indian, Chinese or rag head Moor stuff.

If it weren't done post post 1700's it ain't worth reading. Thank God we adopted The Common Core State Standards (CCSS) to teach history the right way. The Republicans have created this vampire curriculum to suck the history out of the American people, but also to suck out the brains of their children.

Only a few text books will be needed and the Pearson Publishing corporation will take over most education texts and tests. This one size fits all curriculum will end all that nasty confusion about slavery, native genocide for our vulnerable children. Best of all local states will finally have total control over what is taught. Who needs school boards? Local control is best begun with the corporations and publishing companies and then the States and politicians.

Best of all, by eliminating History, you can't even flunk American History. Win, win situation.

Now some holdouts still expect high school students to read at least one complete history book and perhaps write at least one research paper before graduating.

The rest can be learned on Wikipedia and bringing civics and history to the level of knowledge that Amerika deserves and should have.

bonsaiherb
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby bonsaiherb » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:41 pm

Brit beer IMHO is far superior to most US beers. Most commercially made American beers are a little like making love in a canoe

Cardinal Fang, with due respect have you tried some good Oregon and Washington brews? Never thought about the latter part of your quote but it is more possible than in a kayak.

Throw in good American wines,whiskey, bourbon, and even rum (New Orleans) - just what do the 'Brits' have to offer? One reason you were so desperate to keep in the Scot's.

Admittedly your Caribbean colonies make some of the world’s best rums but I do not think it flows from the Thames.
Back to the suds: Both Oregon and Washington have GREAT India Pale Ale (IPA) and Barley Wine.
Our Winter Ales may just compete with some of the Scottish Ales.

As for your English 'Bitter's' you can keep them. I'll take any Czech beer over those.

Cardinal Fang
Lord of Linguini

Postby Cardinal Fang » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:01 pm

bonsaiherb wrote:
Brit beer IMHO is far superior to most US beers. Most commercially made American beers are a little like making love in a canoe*

Cardinal Fang, with due respect have you tried some good Oregon and Washington brews? Never thought about the latter part of your quote but it is more possible than in a kayak.

* Making love in a canoe = it's f****** close to water

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

Return to “Miscellaneous Discussion”