The right’s home-school conspiracy

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Cardinal Fang
Lord of Linguini

The right’s home-school conspiracy

Postby Cardinal Fang » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:44 am

The right’s home-school conspiracy: How I helped GOP launch a religious war

I'm not sure I 100% agree with all of the article's conclusions, but nevertheless it does make for interesting (and slightly scary) reading.

Apologies - it's quite long

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Re: The right’s home-school conspiracy

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:43 pm

Pretty distressing, true enough. Not much hope of fixing it short of government regulation of reproduction and prohibition of home-schooling, along with restriction or outright banning of religion. Not likely, at least not until the consequences of AGW/climate change have become so severe that even the most screamingly insane religious lunatic cannot avoid seeing them. And even then they will say it's god punishing the sinners, and nothing to do with CO2. People who have chosen to base their interpretation of reality on mythology rather than understanding will cheerfully invent new mythology to accommodate any inconvenient inconsistencies they happen to stumble across. Humanity is quite thoroughly and completely screwed, bar some ugly plague or other form of devastation, which is really just another way of being screwed, I guess.

I made the mistake of having a discussion about ocean acidification with one of our more senior scientists yesterday, a fellow who studied the effects of acid rain on lakes in the American northern midwest back in the 1970's and early 80's. He told me how the buffering capability of a water body does not so much decay over time, rather it works fine until one day it crashes and the pH drops down to something like 3.5. Clams are already dissolving in our mud flats. I expect we will kill the oceans before we're through. And the fundies will blame it on homosexuality.
:facewall: :facewall: :facewall: :facewall: :facewall: :cry:
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

What happens when all the renewable energy runs out?
-- Victoria Ayling

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

StJason
Gnocchetti Galley Slave
Location: Sacramento, California, United States, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Re: The right’s home-school conspiracy

Postby StJason » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:30 am

I have a cousin who this article might be written about. She homeschools, has jumped churches several times because they aren't 'pure' enough, regularly posts 'Obummer is a communist!' crap on her facebook wall...

Yeah. Nothing here is news to me.
---
Darwin's Purge, verse 39.

You know the thing that I hate about these .sigblocks? Never have a good idea what to put in them.

Return to “Miscellaneous Discussion”