Video Editing software

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

MourningStar
Bucatini Buccanneer

Video Editing software

Postby MourningStar » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:58 pm

Hey Pirates, Wenches, and Landlubbers...

I'm in need of some bad-ass FREE video editing software. I have a school project due in 3 weeks that is going to require me to edit bits of video together as well as add sound on top of existing video, or self shot video. So I was wondering if anyone out there/here has used or has any preference using online/downloaded free video editing software. Must be able to save compile and save the video into standard formats. :lurk:
Thank you.
The circumstances of the world are continually changing, and the opinions of men change also; and as government is for the living, and not for the dead, it is the living only that has any right in it. That which may be thought right and found convenient in one age, may be thought wrong and found inconvenient in another. In such cases, who is to decide, the living, or the dead? -Thomas Paine

Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Re: Video Editing software

Postby Roy Hunter » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:17 pm

Avidemux is good. I used a couple of years back, not bad at all.

Lightworks is full-on broadcast / cinema quality, it is open source freeware, but it takes a good while to set up a machine to use it, and then to learn to use it properly.

Windows Movie Maker is piss-easy to use, but not too heavy on the features and flexibility.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

ItchyPirate
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby ItchyPirate » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:28 pm

I've heard good things about Kino.

Looking through the software manager on Debian, I also see Flowblade, Lives, Mjpegtools, and Openshot.

I don't know if these are cross-platform or not, I've never looked at them.

If you already have an editor you're used to using that uses a codec different from what your school requires, it's worth checking out Handbrake and Transcode (Handbrake is cross-platform, not sure about Transcode). If either of them recognizes the codec your software is using, there you go :cool:
Captain Itchy Pirate :fsm_yarr:

He who laughs, lasts. :lol:

"You can't argue with all the fools in the world. It is better to let them have their way, then trick them when they're not looking."
--Brom, character in Eragon by Christopher Paolini

MourningStar
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby MourningStar » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:57 am

:confused: well this gives me a few options to ponder. Danke

also, 200th Post. :drinking:
The circumstances of the world are continually changing, and the opinions of men change also; and as government is for the living, and not for the dead, it is the living only that has any right in it. That which may be thought right and found convenient in one age, may be thought wrong and found inconvenient in another. In such cases, who is to decide, the living, or the dead? -Thomas Paine

Return to “Miscellaneous Discussion”