IRS 501(c)(3) tax exempt for USA FSM?

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

DreadPirateEthan
Ziti Zealot

IRS 501(c)(3) tax exempt for USA FSM?

Postby DreadPirateEthan » Mon May 09, 2016 12:58 pm

So has anyone filed for tax exempt status under 501(c)(3)? Did it work? How hard was it? Any advice?
:confused:

Background: I intend on incurring some expenses over the next coupled years doing his noodlyness's bindings. I would prefer not to pay tax on my money. Thank you.
:fsm_float:

buttlicking22

Re: IRS 501(c)(3) tax exempt for USA FSM?

Postby buttlicking22 » Mon May 30, 2016 1:08 pm

You shouldn't be making any income. The donations wouldn't be taxable anyways. If you don't own any property then you shouldn't be paying any property taxes. 501(c)(3) status only helps you save property taxes. Just file as a 501(c)(7) instead. The main difference is that you would be subject to property taxes and the contributions wouldn't be tax deductible for the donors.

It's not a big deal unless you are trying to illicit enormous donations from people that only make donations that provide a tax deduction. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Re: IRS 501(c)(3) tax exempt for USA FSM?

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Tue May 31, 2016 3:50 pm

When we were running VFA a dozen or so years ago, 501(c)3 status let us make tax-free purchases, and allowed people to donate materials and services as well as green foldables and deduct them from their taxes. We were also able to take advantage of lower postal rates for bulk mailings. VFA didn't own any property, so I can't answer to the property tax advantages.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

What happens when all the renewable energy runs out?
-- Victoria Ayling

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

Return to “Miscellaneous Discussion”