Upcoming Films...

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Roland Deschain
Shaman of Ramen

Re: Upcoming Films...

Postby Roland Deschain » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:05 am

black bart wrote:I like Anthony Hopkins of course but I think he suffers a little from the Michael Caine syndrome...not as bad though. Sean Connery again is always Sean Connery even when he's just wearing underwear...

There was no need for that picture, Bart. No need. You Zardoz! :haha:

Another upcoming film i'm excited about is The Raid. It's about a raid on the most notorious safe house in Jakarta, the place where only the worst go. Looks sick from the trailer, what with all the guns, martial arts and explosions. Should be good!
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed

ChowMein
Brewmeister

Postby ChowMein » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:54 am

Red Nails , the Conan flick has stalled , may not get finished , *sigh*

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:29 pm

daftbeaker wrote:The way I judge an actor is if I identify more with their character than them.

I would like to point out that it's not always the fault of the actor if they're constantly typecasted in the same sort of roles. If an actor consistently is only offered the same sort of role (probably because they became famous for that archetype), then it's the fault of the studios, directors, and agents. It's not like an actor can force a studio or director to craft the role to what they want, or to something outside of what they normally portray.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

Roland Deschain
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Roland Deschain » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:27 pm

PKMKII wrote:I would like to point out that it's not always the fault of the actor if they're constantly typecasted in the same sort of roles. If an actor consistently is only offered the same sort of role (probably because they became famous for that archetype), then it's the fault of the studios, directors, and agents. It's not like an actor can force a studio or director to craft the role to what they want, or to something outside of what they normally portray.

It partly is and partly isn't their own fault. Yes, the studios will keep offering them those sorts of roles if they become famous for them, but the actor/actress can always turn it down. This, of course, could end up putting them out of work, and they just take them anyway as it's regular work/money. Or it could be that an actor loves that sort of role, and revels in it, although they may end up getting tired of it in the end. It happens to a lot of actors, where they go through a period of one type of film, then suddenly change to something completely different. Look at Robin Williams' "Axis of Evil" films, like the excellent One Hour Photo, where he plays roles a pole apart from his usual ones. It doesn't always work out for them, as they may lose their touch at acting as someone different, or we just find that they never had that talent in the first place. Hollywood does suck at times, yes.

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed

pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby pieces o'nine » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:28 pm

^ Yes.
I went to Moscow on the Hudson back in the day, looking forward to character development beyond his Mork schtick. For some reason, I did not/could not 'believe' him in that role for one minute. It was a disorienting experience, and I didn't find him convincing in a serious role until Dead Poet's Society.

I'm considering going to Rum Diary; any reactions to this one?
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens

pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby pieces o'nine » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:47 pm

:haha:
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:14 am

Trailer for The Pirates! Band of Misfits. From Aardman Animation (Wallace and Gromit, Chicken Run). :fsm_yarr:
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

Roland Deschain
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Roland Deschain » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:34 am

Aaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhh, that be lookin' good, me hearty! Oi be wantin' ter see that when it be comin' out. :haha:

The Curse of the Buxom Strumpet - Set in the 18th century, this film is about an infestation of zombies in a village. Starring Sir Ian McKellan, Gillian Anderson, and Dame Judi Dench, this low-budget film is due for release in 2012. The big names/low budget combination could really work, and will offer an alternative to the other period zombie piece due out next year, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

Clifford
Humble Hermit

Postby Clifford » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:46 pm

Caught a whiff of the wind the other day ... seems that there's a film of Ender's Game in the works:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ender%27s_Game_%28film%29

I'll go to see it regardless of reviews, being a fan of the book. I am slightly tense on how they're going to manage the child violence however.
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen

Roland Deschain
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Roland Deschain » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:10 am

Roy Hunter wrote:Alien prequel(?) Prometheus.

I quite like the look of this. The trailer is here.

I thought i'd already put this in this thread, but obviously not. I am looking forward to this too. I love the Alien franchise, and this looks set to be another decent film to add to it (yes, it most definitely IS an Alien prequel). There have been trailers of sorts online for a while now, and I keep looking at them and wondering when the hell it's finally going to arrive! :haha:

Ok, so I know the arrival date, but i'm just impatient.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:11 am

Roy Hunter wrote:Alien prequel(?) Prometheus.

I quite like the look of this. The trailer is here.

My mate and I were discussing this film in the pub last night (both big fans of the Aliens franchise)...we're not sure it will work, but I hope it does.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:59 am

This looks like my sort of film:

The Pirates! Band of Missfits
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Roland Deschain
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Roland Deschain » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:51 pm

black bart wrote:This looks like my sort of film:

The Pirates! Band of Missfits

I have my 3D glasses at the ready, all Bristol fashion and ship shape!

Roland Deschain
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Roland Deschain » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:38 pm

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:58 pm

Further evidence for my theory that all movies are improved with the presence of Russian accents
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”