1. related by birth; of the same parentage, descent, etc.
2. Linguistics. descended from the same language or form: such cognate languages as French and Spanish.
3. allied or similar in nature or quality.
4. a person or thing cognate with another.
5. a cognate word: The English word cold is a cognate of German kalt.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan
"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré