What are you EATING right now?

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Cardinal Fang
Humble Hermit

Re: What are you EATING right now?

Postby Cardinal Fang » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:18 pm

With the exception of the hot sauce, it actually sounds like quite a nice flavour combination (the hot sauce, it would depend what type)

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:30 pm

DavidH wrote:
daftbeaker wrote:Beans avec whatever's in the fridge.

In this case onion, garlic, celery, chorizo, bacon, rosemary and thyme with a bit of Branston Pickle and Encona hot sauce. It's very nice :love:

You're kidding yourself. db. :lol:

It was nice, I had the leftovers for lunch today and there's still enough left for tomorrow.

Cardinal Fang wrote:With the exception of the hot sauce, it actually sounds like quite a nice flavour combination (the hot sauce, it would depend what type)

Exactly, Branston Pickle seems to end up in everything I cook. It goes well with spaghetti bolognese :idiot:
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:31 pm

Right now I am eating a glass of wine. Homemade Gewurztraminer, to be specific.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

What happens when all the renewable energy runs out?
-- Victoria Ayling

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

Monobaz
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Monobaz » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:27 am

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:Right now I am eating a glass of wine. Homemade Gewurztraminer, to be specific.

Mind the sherds ET. I have a penchant for a good Riesling myself. In fact we recently planted about half an acre so that we might produce a small commercial quantity for the boutique market.
"There was a time when religion ruled the world. It is known as the Dark Ages." Ruth Hurmence Green

Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:59 pm

Monobaz wrote:
ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:Right now I am eating a glass of wine. Homemade Gewurztraminer, to be specific.

Mind the sherds ET. I have a penchant for a good Riesling myself. In fact we recently planted about half an acre so that we might produce a small commercial quantity for the boutique market.

I think there's about a case or so of Riesling left, and probably more than a case of Liebfraumilch. The Gewurztraminer is a very recent batch, so there are still about 26 or so bottles on hand. Currently in the buckets we have a nice Shiraz-Zinfandel blend, and the old standby Cabernet Sauvignon. Probably have to last us a while, I've been told in no uncertain terms that we're broke again. :cry:
-- Philip K Dick

-- Victoria Ayling

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

CaptainLongPig
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby CaptainLongPig » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:09 pm

I'm having a nice healthy snack of mini Kit Kat bars from Halloween.

Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:04 am

CaptainLongPig wrote:I'm having a nice healthy snack of mini Kit Kat bars from Halloween.

where the heck is the "like" button...
-- Philip K Dick

-- Victoria Ayling

Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roy Hunter » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:18 am

Pig.

That's what I'm eating: pig. Bacon rolls with potato scones and HP Sauce.

Last night I made a regrettable fast food decision and bought a spicy chicken puri on the way home from my gig. It dyed my fingers bright red, and I don't think it's going to wash out any time soon. Tasty, though.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

CaptainLongPig
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby CaptainLongPig » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:26 pm

We are a simple yet tasty people.

bonsaiherb
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby bonsaiherb » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:49 pm

Chicken Enchiladas

Sometimes I like simple and fast. This would be one of those limited item recipes you can snatch from the fridge. Cheese could be certainly changed, but in these times Colby and Monterrey Jack are cheapest. Nice to use the oven on this cold day as well.

4 or 5 Chicken breast - cook and cut up into small chunks
1 1/2 C Green Enchilada sauce
1 carton Sour cream (16 oz)
1 small can Green chilies - mild
1/2 can Diced Jalapeno peppers
3 C Monterrey Jack Cheese - shredded 1 dozen Flour Tortillas

Grease a 9 x 13 pan Combine first six ingredients together in a large bowl. Using a pastry brush, brush a flour tortilla with enchilada sauce then fill middle of tortilla with chicken mixture. Wrap both ends over mixture Place enchilada in baking dish and repeat until all tortillas are filled. Bake at 325 for one hour, let cool slightly before serving.

Holds up well for a day or two in the fridge for what you can't gobble down.

Cardinal Fang
Humble Hermit

Postby Cardinal Fang » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:07 pm

It's difficult to get Monteray Jack in the UK, when I make green enchiladas (not often because tomatillos are hard to come by), I use cheddar and mozzarella.

Works quite well all in all

CF

bonsaiherb
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby bonsaiherb » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:59 pm

Hi Cardinal Fang,

(Began as a comment but ended in a RANT, sorry about that.)

Yes, I suppose green enchilada sauce might be uncommon as would tomatillos. The cheese is less important than a good sour cream. YUM. Some good ingredients simply overshadow the rest.

I am in a quandary here. I have not posted this one, simple as it is belonged to a friend of mine and I now realize that my recipe site has many such. Before posting more I might make them all PRIVATE and only available to those who contribute their own. Those would also be private except for other PARTICIPANTS!

Gonna MULL it over.

In over twenty years of posting garden articles or recipes (with some genealogy excepted) I have gotten NO responses ever.- critiques or additions to what I post and I have to wonder ... WHY am I doing this? Reciprocity and sharing seem to be a lost cause and I view that most websites are simply a source of ... well fill it in. My plant site has tons of articulate articles on horticulture and I could see how a budding garden editor for a small newspaper or young person could use them to fill in a paper for their class assignments.

Commentary and critiques are so lacking. Discourse as a spice to recipes would be a good metaphor I suppose. To life as well! Wish more people would share!

That said, I have been dealing with a few local issues with the local newspaper, and local commentary just makes me want to find a hermitage to retreat to.
Read the comments"
Fireworks: http://peninsuladailynews.com/article/2 ... s-proposal

Suicides off two brand new, badly built bridges. 100 foot falls with no fencing
http://peninsuladailynews.com/article/2 ... prevention

On the environment and putting in thousands of PVC pipes and netting on a protected bay now leased out to a private company I was the only comment in one paper and totally ignored by two others. (NOT ONE OTHER RESPONSE!)

"Too many things to critique here. I wrote a letter to the Gazette that detailed my issues. Sadly I did not keep a copy.
1 There are THREE different numbers given for the acreage to be used.
2. This is a truncated article to what was posted in the Gazette.
3. 30 acres of PVC pipes and netting will not affect the environment. Give me a break.
4. The state and county has spent millions in upgrading the water in this region and this commercial leasing will most certainly affect the nearby Dungeness National Wildlife Refuge.
5. Just envision the visual (if not environmental) degradation of this unique bay. Sure hope the jobs created will offset the tourism angle.
6. Shore and Sea Birds caught in the netting?

So many questions, but money always wins and I am sure that the permitting process will swim through the sewer of the 'Regulatory Agencies' we have in WA. Hell, when the oil spill happened off P.A. decades ago the State EPA had no money to finance an investigation and gave it over to the Oil company do do so. Battelle assisted. Fines later were assessed at about. .39 cents a pound for all the dead birds. Had you or I killed some of these ducks and puffins we would be looking at thousands of dollars a bird. Heck even killing a Seagull might cost you 500.00.

Now we plan to put PVC pipes and netting in an area they fish in? YAH, makes sense, no hurt, no problem.
Whether you agree or disagree with me or the comments at the Gazette, I believe more discussion needs to occur.

I think I need some Absinth!

Cardinal Fang
Humble Hermit

Postby Cardinal Fang » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:48 am

bonsaiherb wrote:Hi Cardinal Fang,

Yes, I suppose green enchilada sauce might be uncommon as would tomatillos. The cheese is less important than a good sour cream. YUM. Some good ingredients simply overshadow the rest.

Funnily enough, tomatillos are easier to get than Monteray Jack (I have a friend who goes to Mexico occasionally and brings me back a couple of tins of them). American cheese in our neck of the woods - nada. I have been known to make my enchiladas with plain yoghurt if I can't get sour cream*. Works okay as a rule

CF

* I would use, in order, sour cream, double cream soured with lemon juice, yoghurt - just sometimes it seems you can't get cream of any variety, so I improvise. I always use plain yoghurt on fajitas and the like instead of sour cream - I prefer it, as it gives it a bit more tang.

bonsaiherb
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby bonsaiherb » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:47 am

Cardinal Fang wrote:
I would use, in order, sour cream, double cream soured with lemon juice, yoghurt - just sometimes it seems you can't get cream of any variety, so I improvise. I always use plain yoghurt on fajitas and the like instead of sour cream - I prefer it, as it gives it a bit more tang.

Remember, I was just using ingredients I had in the fridge and I needed to use up the sour cream. Cheese of one sort or another I always have and the stores have great variety. Generally authentic 'Mexican' food aside from the big cities is unlikely to be covered in a thick and gloopy layer of suspiciously orange melted cheese. Mozzarella like cheese Yes. The Monterrey Jack t is an American addition. Good sour cream however is hard to obtain, especially that with a living bacterial culture. Unless you live in San Diego or L.A. it is damn hard to come across good Mexican Sour Cream. This is usually drizzled over the fajita, burrito, taco whatever. It also tends to mitigate the heat of some chilies one might use.

In Seattle we have one restaurant that uses Mexican cremat--some of the best enchiladas I've ever had. REAL Greek Yogurt would do the job as well.

Cardinal Fang
Humble Hermit

Postby Cardinal Fang » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:53 pm

Chicken portion roasted in the oven. Basted in Frank's RedHot sauce whilst it was cooking, then again when finished.

My new favourite thing. Finding Frank's RedHot a little addictive.

CF

Return to “Food”