Watcha listenin' to?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Re: Watcha listenin' to?

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:00 am

I was listening to Jenny the hot violinist play the Gael , until i spoted felix ps playing it as well on Youtube.

I love watching Jenny , but the masterful felix ps' rendition always has me hypnotized by the perfection and i am continually wondering when Lucifer is coming for his soul.

Now i am forced to listen to this older Italian lady crying and whining continually from pain .
I loathe to sound racist like this .
But every single hospital visit , it has always ,ALWAYS been the older Italians carrying on in such an outrageous over dramatic fashion , belligerent and cursing like pirates no less (which is fine for me piratey nature and swearing in foreign languages always amuses me for some silly moronic reason ) or simply moaning nonstop for hours , merde.
I have not seen any one else in this hugely cosmopolitian city behave with such dishonour in a hospital .
She is in obvious pain , just like 80% of the rest of us in here , but plezzzzz.....
In answer to her persisent crying out why why why why why ...... why Y Y Y Yy y y why why y y y why...............DAMN IT ! BECAUSE ,THATS WHY!

LADY , we are born to live , the meaning of life is living , we live to create more life to live , we live to die , we may die so others may live , dying can be a bitch and may be mightily painful .We all face it , lions and tigers and bears even wee widdle critters in the oceans .
So stop already with the baby bollocks and act yer age ffs.
Even the terrified children deport themselves with greater dignity .
How the Romans have fallen , oh my fsm.
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering Black Bart
Remembering Pieces o' Nine
Remembering Rainswept

ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:22 pm

Lissnin ter meself testin owt sum fantsy noo catgut.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

What happens when all the renewable energy runs out?
-- Victoria Ayling

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:01 pm

Mad Will, I don't know about Canada, but in America, not being white makes racism fair game. :P And yes, Italians in general are pretty dramatic about everything, and I can say that as an Italian American myself.

ET, your playing was great. I'm familiar with "Melissa" and "Norwegian Wood", but I've never heard the others. I definitely want to listen to "Who Needs You". It sounds awesome.

It almost made "One Way Ticket" by The Darkness leave my head for a few minutes. Almost.
[email protected]#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. [email protected]#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:11 pm

Time lays everyone low eventually, and too often we turn a blind eye to the process in others because we don't want to see our own dissolution as well.

Back to music ... my wife wanted to see Tony Bennett who's currently touring through our area, but his voice has lost most of it's range and sparkle, so she changed her mind. We recently went to see Loreena McKennitt, who's only recently resumed touring after the tragic death of her fiancee back in 1998 ... great to see someone eventually bounce back from something that would shatter most people.

Lately, I've been immersing myself in some incredibly talented acoustic steel guitarists who've been pushing the boundaries of open tuning, finger style, and percussion ... people like Andy McKee. If anyone's interested, I created a sample playlist of solo performances on youtube {https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvER7QPVtoJyoCBGRJ5za__0k0mHwThdU}.
ΦΒΚ - Φιλοσοφία Βίου Κυβερνήτης ("Love of learning is the guide of life")

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:55 pm

Chopin's Funeral March. It makes me feel very peaceful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZY5DBmgC_A
[email protected]#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. [email protected]#@#@#@#@!!!
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!

ItchyPirate
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby ItchyPirate » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:13 am

I often listen to Yanni to relax, cheer up, or get that extra bit of energy or inspiration. You'll be hard pressed to find a sad song in his arsenal!
Captain Itchy Pirate :fsm_yarr:

He who laughs, lasts. :lol:

"You can't argue with all the fools in the world. It is better to let them have their way, then trick them when they're not looking."
--Brom, character in Eragon by Christopher Paolini

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:49 am

Itchy: I like Yanni too ... grabbed 3 of his CDs back in the 90's, during his heydey. I think my favorite of the 3 is "Live at the Acropolis".

As for me, I've been listening to a playlist I cobbled together on youtube a while back featuring some truly amazing 'finger style' acoustic guitar. Below is a link to the playlist ... it's 61 tracks, all of it pretty awesome IMNSHO.

Guitar Masters: Misc Artists (Acoustic)

As I type this I'm listening to Andy Mckee's "Joyland" ... as you said about Yanni, very happy, soothing and upbeat.

ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:36 pm

Roving Punster wrote:Itchy: I like Yanni too ... grabbed 3 of his CDs back in the 90's, during his heydey. I think my favorite of the 3 is "Live at the Acropolis".

As for me, I've been listening to a playlist I cobbled together on youtube a while back featuring some truly amazing 'finger style' acoustic guitar. Below is a link to the playlist ... it's 61 tracks, all of it pretty awesome IMNSHO.

As I type this I'm listening to Andy Mckee's "Joyland" ... as you said about Yanni, very happy, soothing and upbeat.

Just got 5th-row seats for Tommy Emmanuel in Portland in June. We saw him at the same venue 2 years ago from the third row. What an incredible player.

edit - I just scrolled through your list, and I'm surprised that Tommy Emmanuel and Monte Montgomery aren't represented. Stanley Jordan would be another appropriate addition, although he plays electric guitars rather than acoustic.

If you're into electric blues, be sure to check out Joe Bonamassa. Blues will survive at least one more generation.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

What happens when all the renewable energy runs out?
-- Victoria Ayling

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:14 am

As mentioned in the playlist description, it's a new list i started that is still growing.

I'll check out the artists you mentioned. :-)

MourningStar
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby MourningStar » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:23 pm

My all time favorite artist Tom Waits performing one of my all time favorite songs... haha.
The circumstances of the world are continually changing, and the opinions of men change also; and as government is for the living, and not for the dead, it is the living only that has any right in it. That which may be thought right and found convenient in one age, may be thought wrong and found inconvenient in another. In such cases, who is to decide, the living, or the dead? -Thomas Paine

ItchyPirate
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby ItchyPirate » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:40 pm

Roving Punster wrote:Itchy: I like Yanni too ... grabbed 3 of his CDs back in the 90's, during his heydey. I think my favorite of the 3 is "Live at the Acropolis".

Yanni's still going strong. Currently my two favorites are Live! The Concert Event and Live at El Morro.

I wouldn't recommend Voices or Voces though, at least not to people who are fans of "traditional Yanni".
Captain Itchy Pirate :fsm_yarr:

He who laughs, lasts. :lol:

"You can't argue with all the fools in the world. It is better to let them have their way, then trick them when they're not looking."
--Brom, character in Eragon by Christopher Paolini

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:54 pm

Last night, I listened to Pet Sounds by The Beach Boys. They piled all the shitty songs on side A, which I'm pretty sure is not how it's usually done. It's not a consistently good psychedelic album like The Beatles' Revolver or Sgt. Pepper, but there were enough good songs on there to make it at least a good collection, if not an "experience".

My mother says The Beach Boys were the One Direction of the 1960s.

What are your thoughts on SMiLE? Is it worth buying? Should I get the version by The Beach Boys or the rerecorded version by solo Brian Wilson?

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:19 pm

i fink ye awl godda lissen 2 da Eesey Beets .

Dats a oardarrrr , rrrr . :lurk:
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.

MourningStar
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby MourningStar » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:39 pm

More Tom Waits: God's away on business :fsm_rock:

and some of his newer stuff" Satisfied
The circumstances of the world are continually changing, and the opinions of men change also; and as government is for the living, and not for the dead, it is the living only that has any right in it. That which may be thought right and found convenient in one age, may be thought wrong and found inconvenient in another. In such cases, who is to decide, the living, or the dead? -Thomas Paine

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:43 pm

Preston Reed, live in Berlin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMMq4R_ ... 0k0mHwThdU

I really love the train-inspired pieces at 5:25, 24:30 and 31:15. Simply AWESOME.

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”