I haven't shown up in about 8 years. RIP active forum.

Non-FSM topics and the ubiquitous Last Post Gyro Shop.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Puppys
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

I haven't shown up in about 8 years. RIP active forum.

Postby Puppys » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:18 pm

At least the forum still exists, though, with like.... a couple active people maybe. Where'd everyone go? Is there a happenin' young Discord channel floating around there somewhere? Discord's all the rage these days as far as I can tell.

Boy, was I a small an naive young pirate back when I joined, intimidated by all the adults and confusing lewd jokes... (innocent under-socialized 14-year-old, now that's a fun life to live) and what is this forum avatar I made? Yikes, is what it is.

Anyway, I had an urge to come back on here after 8 years and reconnect with people I'd never actually connected with but admired, in a positive and fun community. Sad to see this place so quiet & hear that the familiar faces I remember are no longer with us. :cry:

But yeah, hello there to anyone still around. :fsm_float:

Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Re: I haven't shown up in about 8 years. RIP active forum.

Postby Roy Hunter » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:12 pm

Hey Puppys, long time no write!

Yeah, we had a bad year or so, lost some really good people. That has been hard, especially as there were IRL friendships going on there too. We all miss Bart, pieces, Rainswept, as well as Cappelini and WoE stepping down, a lot of change. A lot of people lost their enthusiasm.

Also, this place is getting a bit O. L. D. We have 12 year old content in the database, in internet terms we have the engine of a Prius but the gas tank of an Edsel, the place is quiet.

So, where have you been for eight years, young lady? Explain yourself!
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

Puppys
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Puppys » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:33 pm

I think I remember interacting with a couple of them back when I joined, so it's definitely sad to know the prominent funny members are gone in one form or another. I'm glad the forum's not 100% dead though (just 98% it seems), thanks for responding!

I've been here and there, I remember stopping by here to lurk a long time ago after I'd abandoned it. (I guess I got too intimidated, or something? Always been a bit of a shy one...) Seeing people post about me in the birthday thread was always cool, even though I know it was always because of the "today's birthdays!" thing, it still felt really friendly back when I checked around.

Had a wild romp with a lass who convinced me I was a robot for about a month back in 2012, we both became ordained ministers here (although back in the day, the certificate came with a letter, not a PVC card... guess I'll have to significantly change my legal name & get re-ordained for that sweet wallet card loot since it's not available for separate order). Dated her for almost a couple years, nice learning experience, found a guy more suited to me after that and I've been enjoying his company a lot the past few years. I'm in college to learn how to make games, now; I lost several beloved pets over the past few years (last summer especially sucked) as well. A lot of stressful moving during and between and in causation of these various events.

One major difference between me now and me 8 years ago is that I grew up from a young lady into a handsome young lad :fsm_yarr: And I can drink now, so there's that! :drinking:

Roy Hunter

Postby Roy Hunter » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:10 pm

Apologies for the gender assumption! But, well, the last time you were here...

*Ahem*

Moving on swiftly...

Where are you studying? Is it Dundee, where all the Rockstar guys come from? If not, why not?
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

Puppys
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Puppys » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:18 pm

It's no big thing, it was 8 years of time to learn about myself and nobody here but the FSM can read minds, I assume. :haha:

If only that were where I was studying, then I too could be a Rockstar guy! I'm just studying at a community college in a middle-of-nowhere North Carolina town my family moved to during an unexpected move with not a lot of time to find anywhere new (which is probably why it's not in Dundee :cry:). After that, probably continuing to learn stuff at UNCC, since Charlotte's not far from this nowhere-ville.

Roy Hunter

Postby Roy Hunter » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:37 pm

I spent some time in Charlotte NC back around 2000 (read: tour promoter went bust and stranded me there). Lovely, enlightened, artistic, inclusive place. Unlike anywhere outside the city limits, where people like me would have been lynched.

Great days, happy memories. For the most part...

(That was my final international music tour. I only play music locally, for fun these days. No visas, no customs, no crap...)

Puppys
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Puppys » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:50 pm

The vibe I got was "these roads are the most confusing challenge level my family's driven in a while, but at least I've got a portable game console to play", personally. RIP on getting stranded there though, I definitely feel lynch-able in my small town so I get what you mean... :confused:

I'm glad the memories are mostly happy, though. That's always a benefit. I haven't visited enough yet, so I've only got neutral memories, neutral days.

Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:51 pm

Puppys wrote:I think I remember interacting with a couple of them back when I joined, so it's definitely sad to know the prominent funny members are gone in one form or another. I'm glad the forum's not 100% dead though (just 98% it seems), thanks for responding!

Wye , fank ye verrie much ... yarr .

Oi haz neffer leff bye thee bye , et be thot all me free tyme be spint sittin' Nef Yoo wif Auntie ( oi gained a stone ar three soze Nef Yoo mite be a wee bit longarr cummin bak to conshussnuss) sinse Bart an Pieces be sailing thee high seas * sniff* .
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering Black Bart
Remembering Pieces o' Nine
Remembering Rainswept

Puppys
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Puppys » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:11 pm

Glad to see you then, and hope the Nef-watching goes well! It's probably a harder job without the others, but it's still nice to see familiar icons/names (I can't memorize everyone from 8 years ago good piratey sir, no hard feelings :guilty:)

Try not to knock the kid out too hard, it could lead to a real difficult to handle pirate when he's older...
...is he older, yet? If he isn't older yet then I'll have whatever he's having... keep my good pirately looks forever.

(Also, I'm extremely impressed that nobody changed their avatars in the past 8 years. That's forum dedication.)

Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:40 pm

Oi memmers ye laddie an nindy per cint ove all thee pyrats wot saled into thee harrrrrrbour yarr ... oi fink yer avvie be nu doh yarr .
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering Black Bart
Remembering Pieces o' Nine
Remembering Rainswept

Puppys
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Puppys » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:06 pm

My avvie's as old as this account, I'm probably a better artist now :haha: tempting to update it, though, but that seems like it would go against the timeless nature of the rest of this ancient pirate treasure of a forum.

Return to “Miscellaneous Discussion”