The Video Games Thread

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:22 pm

With what money? Remember, I have $230-$240ish to my name, and no source of income unless and until my Social Security comes through.

I suppose there are more important things to be concerned with than the PS2, though, like learning how to not be a lump.
[email protected]#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. [email protected]#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!

Roland Deschain
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Roland Deschain » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:48 pm

Sorry to hear of the loss of your PS2. When your money comes through, and it will eventually, you'll be able to get a brand new shiny one. Remember that the current PS3s do not do backwards compatibility with PS2 games, only PS1 games.
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Then what's the point? I have a working PS1. :confused:
[email protected]#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. [email protected]#@#@#@#@!!!
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!

Roland Deschain
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Roland Deschain » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:15 pm

Almighty Doer of Stuff wrote:Then what's the point? I have a working PS1. :confused:

If you want PS3 games, then that's cool. If not, then a shiny new PS2 will suffice. :zen:

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:17 am

:evilgrin: Soon the staff of Magnus Magnusson will be mine!!!! I think that's his name...he's an evil mage type chap.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Clifford
Humble Hermit

Postby Clifford » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

've given up games until the end of my degree. Although it's kept my mind on track, and not distracted (by minecraft, mainly) it does mean I search for new means of procrastination.

After the degree however ... a certain Skyrim may be purchased. Do you reckon it's worth geting the PC DVD version rather than downloading it through steam? My preference would be for the DVD version for ease of mod installation, although I hear Steam has made this quite easy anyway.
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:18 pm

It doesn't make a difference. The DVD version just gives you a way to install the files locally rather than downloading them, it's still a Steam game installed to the Steam directory and requires Steam to run.

The good news is it's still easy to use mods, all you do is copy the files into the game directory, choose the mods you want when Skyrim starts and away you go.
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

Roland Deschain
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Roland Deschain » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:14 am

Steam's usually quite good with mods, especially when you consider the history of the Half Life series. I hope the degree goes well, and that you are able to spend plenty of time on Skyrim afterwards. I love owning physical copies of games, but the temptation to download is just too great, especially when it's so easy over the Steam network. When I get my copy of Skyrim, and this will happen some day, i'll be buying the PS3 version. I know a couple of people with it, and they haven't reported back any major issues yet, so all is good.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:07 am

I have the PS3 version. Big TV, PS3, delusions of being Thor crossed with Harry H Potter, what could be better. My dream is to build Daedric Armour and marry my companion Lydia who looks quite fit underneath all her leather armour...that's if I don't accidentally kill her with my Dragonborn Shout.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:08 am

I've come to the conclusion that I just don't have the patience for video games anymore. It's been building for a while now, but I finally had it yesterday.

I was really enjoying FFIV, FFVII, and FFIX. They're laughably easy games (with the exception of the endboss of FFIV, the only fight to give me any real trouble) with nice stories and pretty pictures. I followed the walkthroughs on the Final Fantasy Wiki all the way through all three games so I wouldn't miss anything (I'd completed FFVII and FFIX before anyway). I enjoyed it that way. I had done the same with FFVIII the first time I played it years ago. I doubt I would have enjoyed the game otherwise. Despite having a nice story, it's a fiendishly complex game in terms of character building and side quests. I used the official strategy guide, which made it easy, but I lent it to someone and never got it back. When I thought I might play FFVIII after FFIV, I hesitated, then decided against it, because I didn't want to deal with the poorly written walkthroughs on the Wiki, and it's also just a really hard game compared to the others. The most efficient way to complete the game is to gain as few levels as possible, which involves not fighting and keeping your characters KO'd as much as possible.

So I decided to play Blades of Exile instead. I got frustrated after fighting some measly goblins and dying, so I played Spyro the Dragon. Nice, colorful game, with lovely music by Stewart Copeland of The Police. The first two home worlds were easy, but when I got to the Magic Crafters' Home, I found myself repeatedly plunging into pits of doom, and I got frustrated and gave up. I didn't even make it as far as the really hard level in the Beast Makers' Home this time.

I'm not sure what changed in me. As a kid I was avidly devoted to video games, and wanted to make games for a career. Now I get frustrated so easily that I give up after only a little trouble. :facewall:

Ah, well. Maybe I'll devote the time I used to spend playing video games to reading my Bible and writing stories. I still haven't contributed anything major to The Loose Canon. :shellfish: :fsm_float:

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:23 am

Instead of reading the bible, read the Hobbit...that'll get you back in the mood. There aren't any bible based video games are there?

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:37 am

It's not that I'm not in the mood for a good story. I'm just not in the mood for a challenging game. I've got other challenges to deal with that are difficult enough, including dealing with Social Security, my Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy, learning to do more chores more easily, etc.

I imagine that in between reading my religious texts and pirate stuff, I'll be catching up on my John Grisham collection (I have several of his books but have only read "A Time To Kill"), "The Silmarillion" (and maybe reread "The Hobbit" which I first read in the sixth grade and loved, and "The Lord Of The Rings", again, maybe actually get to the end of LOTR instead of getting distracted during the ascent of Mount Doom and then not picking it up again), "The Tales of Beedle the Bard" of which I bought two copies when it was released, one for my sister and one for myself, so I wouldn't have to wait for her to finish before I could start, and then never started at all, a textbook on the history of rock and roll that my sister got me for Christmas one year that I never touched, and other stuff.

This will of course take me many years, but it should be gratifying, I hope. I used to read avidly, but I fell off the reading wagon some time ago. It's a shame, but it's not uncorrectable.

I just have to get through the KJV Bible first. Leviticus is a mess. It uses the same pronoun for multiple parties, making deciphering its already ridiculous rules a chore. :confused: I guess I'm probably not getting to Passover in time for Easter. I thought it was in Exodus but it's not. Maybe it's in Ezekiel or something.

bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby bacon » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:38 pm

:furious: Tiny Tower :furious:

Stupid update didn't work . . . I'm locked out of my tower . . . I had almost 60 floors.
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........

ChowMein
Brewmeister

Postby ChowMein » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:54 pm

I miss my PC , my friend the hardware software electrical engineer wizard has had it parked UK his garage for the past few years .
I want to play Heroes Of Might And Magic 3 again .
Deemer's my favorite character , he starts off with the meteor shower spell .

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:52 pm

I love Heroes 3, but I'm not very good at it. I like it mostly because it's visually and musically pretty with pretty descriptions.

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”