We need to do something about "parody"

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

lord potato
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Re: We need to do something about "parody"

Postby lord potato » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:17 pm

Exactly what I'm talking about. Arkaeon you found the words that were in my head.

Nefnora
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Nefnora » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:43 am

The problem, in my opinion, is that most visitors don't get any further than the noodles and pirate heads. It's great that the CotFSM evolved beyond a parody, but the original cause (get religion banned from science class) was lost somewhere halfway. Occasionally, a brief bout back is made, but it's drowned almost immediately.

Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It
Location: Ex-Pyrate of the Canberrean, now bobbing about in Cork

Postby Tigger_the_Wing » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:43 am

I think that the reason not much is being done about that is because the case was more-or-less won a while ago. There are only a few minor skirmishes at the moment. Although I expect that could change and then we'd all be charging in.

At the moment the focus is more in Australia where non-Christians, and Christians of different denominations, are trying to get the evangelical Christian chaplains out of the public schools or, at least, no longer being paid out of the public purse.

disney.jessica
Conchigliette Convert

Postby disney.jessica » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:18 pm

I agree with Tigger. I don't take it completely seriously but it's fun to learn about the practices and holidays and everything.

Sai
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Sai » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:30 am

If Pastafarianism is recognized as a religion, it would be one of the first religions to be founded on humor.
Praise be upon the Prime Purveyor of Pasta Perfection, may He touch you with His Noodley Appendage and Slather you with Savory Sacred Sauce as you gaze into His Majestically Monstrous Meatballs.

Marc Pot
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Marc Pot » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:17 am

I have to admit LP is right, When I first met the FSM religion I thought it was a parody, a joke to everyone who "pretends" to believe in it. The only reason my head wasn't set on "FSM is a joke and there is nothing interesting about it" was because it grew so big.

How is it possible for a parody based on nothing but rubbish to grow so big, of course it could be because so many people think religion is stupid. But it would've happened before if that's the only reason, so I looked further than the news and sites like Wikipedia and that's when I found out the whole FSM thing had a purpose.

The real purpose of FSM disappeared from the media so when people hear of us and look on the internet the first thing they think is "What a bunch of idiots, they take the joke to far" (I asked a few of my friends what they think of FSM and that was their answer when they looked it up)

My own view about FSM is exactly the one on the site "We do not take ourselves too seriously". But we should not let people think we aren't serious at all.

My point is, it almost disappeared from the media that the "religion" started with a purpose so everyone thinks we are a complete fake!

(Don't know how everything in you environment is but that's how people think about FSM in mine)
I considered atheism, but there weren't enough holidays.

Return to “All Things FSM”